Hebden Bridge

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Keg wrote: It's always been viewed as an "alternative lifestyle" town> i believeit has the highest number of same sex couples in the country, the largest proportion being Sapphic. It's a very pretty town with lots of cafes (veggie espc).The old Bradford University Observatory was on the tops towards Keighley but has now sadly gone. Not aware of any paranormal stuff, all the locals are like that :-) It's supposed to be the Lesbian capital of the UK I do believe.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Keg

Post by Keg »

Indeed, hance my sapphic comment( posh word for lady love).
Keg

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Actually the Calder valley is the lesbian capital of Great Britain according to various sources!In reply about the well.it is situated at the end of the car park that is in the middle of Hebden Bridge walk down to the end away from the centre and carry on round the back of the new flats built there.You will see a wellhead set into the supporting brickwork of the wall.it has the remains of iron hinges showing it must have had metal doors on it once.It still has it's basin and water still flows down into it obviously off the hillside above.I have found flowers bound as an offering,pentacles and various other stuff at times.Interestingly it is not marked on the 1905 map of Hebden, and a friend of mine who edits "Northern Earth" the only Earth Mysteries magazine in the UK, was amazed that he had never heard anything about it during his time working in hebden ,until I pointed it out to him.It is quite imposing, and I would have thought it should have been a named well, but as I say, I could find nothing about it anywhere.    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!