An odd experience in Temple Newsam Park

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
peterg

Post by peterg »

I have recently been checking Leodis for Temple Newsam with regard to the lost Gibbet. There are two photos, one saying the Gibbet was built in 1820 and another which leads one to understand that it was used for executions in the Middle Ages.Apart from this, I have a friend who lives in the Grange on Selby Road who has assured me that in the basement there are dungeons where prisoners were held before being taken to Temple Newsam for execution. She says it is spooky down there. I don't know whether this has anything to do with the paranormal experiences on Whitkirk Lane or near the House, but I put it up for consideration. Local Studies have no news of the dungeons.With regard to water at Temple Newsam, I have some photos of my daughter in her first communion dress beside a lake there. I shall dig them out, if I can find them.

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

LS1.I think it was more near the back of the house if anything! I recall a row of hedges in line with the bottom of the road and something behind that.
I'll be back (arnie)

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

So LS1, does that mean it was where the car park is now? Ooh, hope they filled it in ok, or it'll be Dunkin Doggers all round!!! lol

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

The garden in front of the red X does become quite marshy when its been very wet (found that out the hard way last 'summer' lol.On a painting of the House in the Oak Gallery (I think) it shows a lake to the front of the house (where the concerts are held!)Also on display now in the shop in the Courtyard is a model of 'Capability' Brown's original plan showing a lake to the south, which was never built.    Just found the 'House Guide' leaflet I picked up during our visit there on Thursday (thanks to the teacher's strike) and that also shows an artist's view of a lake in front of the House.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Croggy wrote: The garden in front of the red X does become quite marshy when its been very wet (found that out the hard way last 'summer' lol.On a painting of the House in the Oak Gallery (I think) it shows a lake to the front of the house (where the concerts are held!)Also on display now in the shop in the Courtyard is a model of 'Capability' Brown's original plan showing a lake to the south, which was never built.    Just found the 'House Guide' leaflet I picked up during our visit there on Thursday (thanks to the teacher's strike) and that also shows an artist's view of a lake in front of the House. i remember that pond that was full of frog spawn when i was a kid...at the back of the house as previously stated.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Leeds Lass wrote: Cheers for that Si!!! I'm feeling less jittery already!!! ;-) oi! leeds lass,check out a site called northern earth....it's right up your alley (oo eer madam) quarry hill gets mentioned along side the nazca lines stonehenge and even navajo burrial grounds.it's all dutch to me but i thought 'mmm! mystic debs will know what it means'
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Leeds Lass wrote: So LS1, does that mean it was where the car park is now? Ooh, hope they filled it in ok, or it'll be Dunkin Doggers all round!!! lol No Leeds Lass, where the red X is, was where the lake was I'm sure. Had a look there yesterday and there are some drainage channels there and also a culvert that looks now very dry. If you have a look in the grassy area you will see there is a relatively modern style wall that looks like it should go further down under the grass. The small lake / pond was here.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

wiggy wrote: Leeds Lass wrote: Cheers for that Si!!! I'm feeling less jittery already!!! ;-) oi! leeds lass,check out a site called northern earth....it's right up your alley (oo eer madam) quarry hill gets mentioned along side the nazca lines stonehenge and even navajo burrial grounds.it's all dutch to me but i thought 'mmm! mystic debs will know what it means' Cheers Wiggy Wigster! Still waitong to add you on Facebook!!! ;-) Mmmmystical Deb x x x

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

LS1 wrote: Leeds Lass wrote: So LS1, does that mean it was where the car park is now? Ooh, hope they filled it in ok, or it'll be Dunkin Doggers all round!!! lol No Leeds Lass, where the red X is, was where the lake was I'm sure. Had a look there yesterday and there are some drainage channels there and also a culvert that looks now very dry. If you have a look in the grassy area you will see there is a relatively modern style wall that looks like it should go further down under the grass. The small lake / pond was here. Ah, I'm with you now! Cheers for that LS1!

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Croggy wrote: The garden in front of the red X does become quite marshy when its been very wet (found that out the hard way last 'summer' lol.On a painting of the House in the Oak Gallery (I think) it shows a lake to the front of the house (where the concerts are held!)Also on display now in the shop in the Courtyard is a model of 'Capability' Brown's original plan showing a lake to the south, which was never built.    Just found the 'House Guide' leaflet I picked up during our visit there on Thursday (thanks to the teacher's strike) and that also shows an artist's view of a lake in front of the House. Hey Croggy, at least you had somewhere interesting to go! Just think of the poor sods who are stuck with no car in the middle of nowhere! Like I used to be in the 80's sob sob!! lol