An odd experience in Temple Newsam Park

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Ooh, don't get me started about snakes Si! They never used to bother me until I got to know one! Then I realised that they're an unknown quantity and while you're holding one, you can't tell what it's thinking or gonna do next! At least with other animals you get clear signs! Ooh, I've just got the shivers!!!

Si

Post by Si »

About 5 years ago, my wife was getting ready for work when she noticed something move in the open bathroom window. Thinking it was a branch outside, she went to push it out. Only then did she notice it was a snake. She rang me at work, sounding a little hysterical. I asked her what she had done about it. "I've rung the police," she said. "You are the police!" I replied. When I got home, there were two policemen and my wife stood outside the back garden looking up at the bathroom window, where a huge brown snake was sliding into the outside alarm box. It was about 5 feet long. The police had rung the RSPCA. Eventually, the RSPCA man turned up and coaxed the snake into a net. I had to help him as no-one else would go in the garden - there was quite a crowd by now. It turned out to be a juvenile Asiatic Rat Snake, commonly farmed in the Far East for their skins. They can grow up to 10 feet long, and though not poisonous, they are aggressive and will bite! We've still no idea where it came from, though we had been to Thailand a couple of months before. The thought of it being in our luggage and hiding in the airing cupboard all that time........

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!! No, seriously, stop it now Si!!! My hair is stood on end!!! ( Deb runs off with a big stick to rifle through the ottoman, while wondering what she could have brought back from the Algarve!!!)    

Si

Post by Si »

I'm off to The Algarve in July, Deb. I'll take back whatever you found in your luggage!!!

Si

Post by Si »

PS My wife seems to attract this kind of thing (she's known as Jonah at work!) Once on holiday, I was swimming over a reef in the Atlantic, when she asked the boatman what the 6 foot long shadow in the water was. "Oh, that's George," he replied. George turned out to be a barracuda......

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Jiffy bag winging it's way to you, as we speak, containing unknown male species for release in Algarve!!! Carveiro area would be ideal, but anywhere where you can release it so that it can safely make its way to a bar selling Sagres or Carlsberg is fine!!!! Careful though, it's quite a grumpy specimen, keep him away from English restaurants selling pie and chips, or he'll flip!!! lol ;-)

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Cheers for that Si!!! I'm feeling less jittery already!!! ;-)

Si

Post by Si »

Leeds Lass wrote: Jiffy bag winging it's way to you, as we speak, containing unknown male species for release in Algarve!!! Carveiro area would be ideal, but anywhere where you can release it so that it can safely make its way to a bar selling Sagres or Carlsberg is fine!!!! Careful though, it's quite a grumpy specimen, keep him away from English restaurants selling pie and chips, or he'll flip!!! lol ;-) That'll be a big jiffy-bag, then! Is the other side of Lagos (Budens) near enough? Plenty of Sagres and Super Bock in the cooler!

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Ooh anywhere'll do!!! Send me some Superbok back, I love it!!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Si wrote: Leeds Lass wrote: Jiffy bag winging it's way to you, as we speak, containing unknown male species for release in Algarve!!! Carveiro area would be ideal, but anywhere where you can release it so that it can safely make its way to a bar selling Sagres or Carlsberg is fine!!!! Careful though, it's quite a grumpy specimen, keep him away from English restaurants selling pie and chips, or he'll flip!!! lol ;-) That'll be a big jiffy-bag, then! Is the other side of Lagos (Budens) near enough? Plenty of Sagres and Super Bock in the cooler! sorry si...i have english and urdhu,some french and spanish along with latin,greek(classical)..ebou and very...VERY limited manderin...but what the heck is that you talkin' boy????    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?