An odd experience in Temple Newsam Park

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

Hi. In the 1970's, my brother & I each used to have a bicycle (in the days when it was more of a pleasure to ride them on main roads). One evening , we set off from west Leeds to east leeds, first visiting relatives in the Halton area. We stayed a short while, then we decided to move on, so we got on our bikes and headed up the hill to Temple Newsam. By then, it was getting dark, so we switched on the headlamps and rear lamps on the bikes, and headed down the avenue of trees that led to Whitkirk church and Selby Road. We got half way down this avenue, when both headlamps on each bike began to fail. These were new bulbs and batteries in these lamps, and there were no reason for them to fail. If it had been on one cycle lamp, then it might have been explainable, but not two lamps failing at the same time ! We did not see any apparitions, and we did not make this "story" up, because it really did happen. We checked the lamp bulbs out at home, and both had shattered filaments (the batteries were still ok).Has anyone else experienced weird happenings like this in the park?We often talk about what happened on this bike ride.
mh

FLITZ

Post by FLITZ »

about ten years ago myself and a friend were walking in the area after taking photos of temple newsam house at night walking down the same road heading for the Irwin arms we witnessed a car coming down the same road in the same area he went out of control hitting the kerb on one side of the road and then going airborn finally coming to rest down the embankment near the beck on the golf course side of the road, we dragged the driver from what was left of the car and my friend called the emergency services, when we asked the driver what had happened to cause the accident he claimed that he lost all electrical power in the car and so had lost his power steering and brakes.

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

Not so long back, maybe 3 mothns ago at most, me and some friends decided to go to temple newsam one night as we're into anythin spooky. We went for a walk in the woods messin around scaring eachother, then returned to the car after the path ended at the house. Shortly after being sat in the car for 20 minutes or so, we all heared this very eerie loud moan sound, or grunt, that seemed to echo around where we was. We just went silent from talking and looked at eachother as if to say ''did you hear that''! Thats when we decided to go home! It was very very freaky, and none of us know what it was, but it didnt sound happy.Also on a different note, iv also noticed a mist at the bottom of the road heading up towards temple newsam, that kinda appears from the woods, iv seen it a good few times

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

There was always the story of the blue lady who would walk around the battlements of Tempie moaning. Ag ood ghost story never hurts business I suppose.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

Yeah iv heared of the blue lady, and a few others, we went in the house one day and the security guard said ''you do know this is an art gallery, and it propbably wont interest people your age'' but we just said we wanted to look round, so he couldnt really turn us away. We wanted to see somethin spooky really but we didnt. My friend took a girl there one night and was sat in his car in the carpark outside the house, facing the field, and he saw something running towards his direction on the field, and he said it wasnt a person as it was impossible for a person to move this quick, he said it looked brown. The girl saw it too and in a state of panic he started the car and began to drive away quickly, narrowly missing a bollard! So i decided to look it up, to see if there was anything that could link his story, and i found something that said a monk runs over from near the farm and over where he was sat, and then on down to the bottom of the road near the woods. When i told him this he didnt believe me at first, he thought i was just making up a story based on what he saw, but when he looked it up his self, he told me this is exactly what he and his girlfriend saw!

d yule

Post by d yule »

I would like to respond to the brothers who had a weird experience along the avenue between Temple Newsam House and Whitkirk Church in the 1970's. Both their bicycle lamps failed halfway along this avenue.I was also walking along this avenue, in the opposite direction towards the house, with a friend, (also in the 1970's). Suddenly, I felt several hard tugs on the back of my jacket, although there was no-one in sight. (I also didn't see any apparition). My friend was several paces in front of me (so couldn't have done this) and we were walking in the middle of the road, so I couldn't have been caught by brambles or whatever.I have often spoken to friends and family about this experience and when I read the experience of the brothers, this made my own experience seem even more inexplicable - and even more spooky.Has anyone else had any weird experiences along this avenue in Temple Newsam?Would love to hear.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I've personally not experienced anything spooky on visits to Temple Newsam, but I must admit it's not the sort of place I'd like to visit after dark.However, I do remember a story about the police helicopter having to make an emergency landing on the golf course there after an unexplained electrical failure. This was a good few years ago, when the police first got the "copper chopper". It had to remain there overnight while they fixed it - I seem to remember a pic in the YEP of two constables on guard duty in a panda car for the night. Although that was probably more to do with the some of the locals, rather than any spooks though!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

Drove through there tonight as i was bored, was about 8pm. As i was driving towards the bus terminal, i braked to slow down, and had to tap my brakes 2 or 3 times hard coz they wernt operating properly! its a 57 plate vehicle!! when i stopped i tested them as it was wierd an they were okay! also to mention as i was tapping my brakes to slow down, the steering wheel was pulling to one side towards the fence! felt really wierd!

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Not sure if the link to our Facebook group will work on here but I'll try! (Oh I think it does, but only if you're a member on Facebook!)Anyway, our little ghost hunting group of four, went to Tempy on tues night (night before last) around 8-30pm. Boy did we see and hear some stuff!! We parked in front of the house and then went round the outside and through the gardens. We had the video camera as well as two digital cameras, which picked up loads of orbs. The video we've posted unfortunately looks clearer played directly through our computer! But we caughts orbs dancing round behind the hedges and while we were flashing the cameras, unknown to us, until playback, we caught a figure standing down by the bottom of the hedge, watching us! If you watch to the end of the video clip, a woman wailing is heard as we moved away from this area, but we never heard it at the time! Neither of us two girls were talking when the noise started! Eeeeeeekkkkk!!!! There are cars turning up all the time and going into the car park, but as we left, there were no vehicles in the car park, unless there is an entrance and an exit. But thinking about it, I only recall one way in and out. It is well spooky there on a night, I can tell you! "Eastmoor Village" on tues night I think!!!http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10437761324    

simonm

Post by simonm »

Wahey.. LeedsLass is back. where u been? Nice to see you posting again.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"