The House in the middle of Adel Woods

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
spainboy

Post by spainboy »

I lived in Moortown for years,on Nursery Lane and if you stood on king Lane looking right over to Adel Woods you could see a house right in the middle of it.I knew a few school mates from the early 80s that 'supposedly' been to that house and heard a few stories that it was haunted and other stories that it was used by the Moonies.I don't know if that house is still there but you could always just about see it right in the middle of the woods.Anyone any stories about it.?I always regretted never going to find out for myself.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I suspect you are thinking of the old well house here.There is lots about this on other threads.It was not a dwelling house.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

spainboy

Post by spainboy »

Steve Jones wrote: I suspect you are thinking of the old well house here.There is lots about this on other threads.It was not a dwelling house. Cheers Ill have a browse through.Sorry for being thick but what is a well house? An old inn?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

No it is not an inn.it is where a holy well or spa well was used.see the Holy Wells thread in the Places forum for lots of pictures.actually thinking about it I am confusing it with Gipton Woods Spa well so am sorry to have misled you.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

DavidYork

Post by DavidYork »

Hmmmm... Am I being thick not knowing which one you are talking about? I don't remember any house actually IN Adel Woods... There was one near Moortown golf course that someone has already mentioned, in the woods behind the Turnberry estate, but that was really small, not a big one.I lived in that area for 20 years, from the '85 to 2005 and I don't remember a house in Adel Woods. I might just be being thick but I'd be glad for someone to shake up my memory.

spainboy

Post by spainboy »

DavidYork wrote: Hmmmm... Am I being thick not knowing which one you are talking about? I don't remember any house actually IN Adel Woods... There was one near Moortown golf course that someone has already mentioned, in the woods behind the Turnberry estate, but that was really small, not a big one.I lived in that area for 20 years, from the '85 to 2005 and I don't remember a house in Adel Woods. I might just be being thick but I'd be glad for someone to shake up my memory. Maybe my memory is a big jaded but there was something(whatever it was) in the distance that looked like a top of a house,or something.For example if you are stood on king lane outside Allerton High school and look over the road,way beyond the Cranmer estate to the woods,right in the distance in the middle of the woods you could see it.Im sure when i was a kid in the 80's a few of my school mates used to go and explore and come back with stories about going over the 7 arches, passing that old buker that was there and visit this house.It was quite far in the distance in the woods and probably looked nearer Adel itself than Moortown. Come to think of it now you may have been able to access it if you drove up the ring road from moortown(sainsburys) and turn right about a mile and half up the road. (i may have tried to look for it a few years later but i cant remember)Maybe the house wasnt literally in the woods itself but gave that illusion when looking over from ally high.The house looked pretty big.Is there an old peoples home or something up there? Also was this rumour of adel woods having regular Moonie meetings true or school rumours???    

DavidYork

Post by DavidYork »

Was it maybe that abandoned approved school for naughty boys? The little village sort of thing with the church and the swimming pool? I can't remember what it was called now...Haha, I remember hearing about the Moonies and Devil Worshippers in Adel Woods. When we were kids we used to arm ourselves with homemade bow and arrows and butter knives and go "hunting" them. We never saw any, but it was usually about 2:00 in the afternoon during the 6 week holidays... :-/Haha, an interesting thread would be to retell the stories you heard about the goings on in those woods! I remember my friend Wayne Barber (RIP) telling about the time he saw the devil worshippers sacrificing a woman in the woods, and he was hid in a pond with only a Burger King straw to breathe through. He was there for hours before they went! Haha... Scared the [edited for content] put of me when I was about 11 years old! Another one was when an older girl told me about going to Devil's Rock and putting her hand in the hole, and the hole closed up and something tried to grab her hand, then her friends pulled her out and as they all ran away flames burst from the floor beneath their feet and they ran all the way home!!!!! Man, I wish I was still young enough to believe tales like that!!    

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

spainboy wrote: Steve Jones wrote: I suspect you are thinking of the old well house here.There is lots about this on other threads.It was not a dwelling house. Sorry for being thick but what is a well house? a house thats not poorly lol    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

DavidYork wrote: Was it maybe that abandoned approved school for naughty boys? The little village sort of thing with the church and the swimming pool? I can't remember what it was called now...Haha, I remember hearing about the Moonies and Devil Worshippers in Adel Woods. When we were kids we used to arm ourselves with homemade bow and arrows and butter knives and go "hunting" them. We never saw any, but it was usually about 2:00 in the afternoon during the 6 week holidays... :-/Haha, an interesting thread would be to retell the stories you heard about the goings on in those woods! I remember my friend Wayne Barber (RIP) telling about the time he saw the devil worshippers sacrificing a woman in the woods, and he was hid in a pond with only a Burger King straw to breathe through. He was there for hours before they went! Haha... Scared the [edited for content] put of me when I was about 11 years old! Another one was when an older girl told me about going to Devil's Rock and putting her hand in the hole, and the hole closed up and something tried to grab her hand, then her friends pulled her out and as they all ran away flames burst from the floor beneath their feet and they ran all the way home!!!!! Man, I wish I was still young enough to believe tales like that!!     Think you will find quite a bit about the "secret Village" on here if you do a search. The words can, opening and worms spring to mind!!

DavidYork

Post by DavidYork »

Lilysmum wrote: Think you will find quite a bit about the "secret Village" on here if you do a search. The words can, opening and worms spring to mind!! Oh I know. I have read them all and know all about it. I just forgot its name. I was just mentioning it for the sake of the other person who posted.