The mad squire of caverley hall

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
FLITZ

Post by FLITZ »

In 1604 squire Walter Calverley was captured and executed for the murder of his two children and the serious wounding of his wife,some said that he was jealous of the love his children had for there mother others said that he thought that his wife had, had an affair and that the children were not his, the murders and attempted murder were most ghastly it was reported.The "mad" squire's spirit is said to haunt the hall and calverely village in the shape of man on horseback fleeing his persuers, the hauntings at the hall include indistinct voices, and footsteps along one of the floors.

FLITZ

Post by FLITZ »

If anyone has anymore stories of local hauntings please let me know, my e-mail address is on my profile.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

There's a Jacobean play about this story, which was performed in Leeds last year, and which was once spuriously credited to William Shakespeare! In reality it was more likely written by a guy called Thomas Middleton ...You can find info about it on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Yorkshire_TragedyYou can read the play on Project Guttenberg at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4255Cheers!dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

munki

Post by munki »

The Brotherton Library Special Collections at the University have a very old copy of Shakespeare's plays (something like the second printed version). It includes 'A Yorkshire Tragecy'. I will try to get a picture of the title page, & some correct-not-vague info about the provenance of the manuscript.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.