Phantom smell

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

in times of trouble i have had the wiff of woodbines and machine oil...strange i know,but my beloved late grandad smelt this way as he was still working at fowlers engine works(then whoever took over from them) when he passed away(relatively young-56)in 1973.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

This house - also a non smoking household - also gets the (very strong) smell of cigarette smoke, from time to time. It only ever happens at night, anything between midnight and 2am and both my husband and I have smelt it. Only in the living room or our own bedroom.Previous tenant died young, of cancer - it's the way we got this house. And that is all I know about her. I don't even know if she was a smoker or not.We're semi detached and literally out in the middle of nowhere, between two villages so no passersby, and our neighbours don;t lean out of the windows to smoke, or owt.None of the kids have ever smelt this, only husband and me.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

My MIL smoked and she only visited our house 3 times before she pased away last March. Our house is non-smoking and we (well mainly me) get the wiff of cig snmoke every now and again. Anna says it's probably our neighbour who smokes. But then again I can get the smell in the car when driving and the road is empty. We did used to take the MIL shopping every week.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Our dog Sandy who died aged 15, 25 years ago,is still 'with us!'(wife sez it's ME!)Carpets and furniture etc all changed at least twice during that timeWe even get the odd sandy hair from under the skirting boardsWhen decorating!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

TenDaysaLoiner wrote: This house - also a non smoking household - also gets the (very strong) smell of cigarette smoke, from time to time. It only ever happens at night, anything between midnight and 2am and both my husband and I have smelt it. Only in the living room or our own bedroom.Previous tenant died young, of cancer - it's the way we got this house. And that is all I know about her. I don't even know if she was a smoker or not.We're semi detached and literally out in the middle of nowhere, between two villages so no passersby, and our neighbours don;t lean out of the windows to smoke, or owt.None of the kids have ever smelt this, only husband and me. "None of the kids have ever smelt this, only husband and me"Hate to say this,but how old are your kids,and do you think they would be susceptable to the temtation of tobacco.If they are over ten,and you think they would never ever smoke,then think again,they may well be the source of your smell.Sorry.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

On two occasions we've had a very strong smell of rotten eggs come out of the cellar, very suddenly and then disappears quite quickly. First culprit was thought to be the drains but they were fine. So was it evil spirits? Spoke to a mate about it who's a geologist by trade He said that large parts of Armley, south of Armley Road are built on sedimentary rock which include very thin layers of coal. The decomposition of these leads to sulphur gas which finds its way through the strata and occasionally into cellars. Very interesting but it doesn't half stink.

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

LOL, Nah. Only two of em are teenagers and they are both square. Been a teacher in the past so I know most of the stuff kids get up to - and neither of them ever smell of fags, in fact both of them hate the chavvy kids at their school that smoke and go on about it! (One of my sons recently had his money nicked in an art lesson he thinks by a kid who buys fags). Not their scene at all. Now if it was alcohol..... ;o)

FoxyLady

Post by FoxyLady »

I used to work at Safeway (Swinnow Rd, Bramley, now Morrisons) in the cash office, a few times there was a distinct smell of warm toast, it was only a small room with a thick security door which was always locked, but the smell would always be next to the safe or at the bottom of the stairs leading to the floor where the office was. First time I smelt it I mentioned it to a colleage who said it was the ghost, a couple of people had smelt it but they hadn't wanted to scare me being locked in a small room by myself! The cash office is nowhere near the cafe or the staff canteen so I don't think it was coming from there. At first I was bit freaked out but just got used to it, so when it did happen I just used to say 'hi' and carry on with what I was doing. Just before I finished working there I had done the final cash up for the evening and had cleared everything away from the desk. I went downstairs to take the last of the cash down to the tills to tide them over for the rest of the night. The door automatically locked behind me. When I came back up I found a coin in the middle of the desk that definately hadn't been there when I had left. The coin was a small sixpence dated 1946 (from memory, give or take a year) when the site was an old mill/printing place. I like to think the ghost was leaving me a lucky leaving gift, which I still have even though this was 6yrs ago. There was no other way it could have got there, the only other person besides me with a key to the office was the duty manager who was downstairs while I was taking the cash down.Does anyone know anything about the mill that used to be on that site?