Hauntings

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
mym

Post by mym »

Oh, and the experiences I've already had...1) I live in Osmondthorpe, and I think, looking back to what people     have told me, I'm probably the only other tenant in my house     apart from the old woman before me (who lived with her     husband and kids (who are now pensioners themselves). She      moved out a couple of months before she died.      One night, when I was living with my now ex, he'd gone on a      night out from work. I was at home with our son. I went to bed     before he got home, but you know what its like when you can't     sleep and finish up staying awake in bed til they get home.     About half an hour before he got home, I heard the front door      open, then footsteps up the stairs. At this point though, the     noise stopped. Not thinking that it was anything out of the      ordinary, I opened the bedroom door and shouted his name. I     didn't get a response though, so I went downstairs and all round     the house, thinking that, in his half cut state he might be having     a joke! It was only when I got right through the house and      checked the front door that I realised that it was still locked and      there was no sign of him. That did freak me out then - and I      finished up running back upstairs and into bed!! And no, it     wasn't our son, because his door was shut and he was sound     asleep!!!     About half an hour later I heard a taxi pull up outside, and my      partner then let himself in and came upstairs. He thought I'd      gone mad when I told him what had happened - but he never      experienced anything weird whilst he lived here!!2) A while later (after splitting up) I had the bad habit of going to     bed later than I should. One night, as I lay in bed reading, one     of my son's toys, in a bag in the corner of the room, started      talking by itself (as if it had been knocked over) but the bag      hadn't been moved for weeks!!! I was a bit taken aback at this     but for some reason I just said to it " ok I'm going to sleep now."     At this point, the toy stopped!!!!      The next morning, when I knew I had to be up - but you know     what its like, 'just another 5 minutes..' lol - suddenly the toy      started again!!! This time though, I got up and moved it away     from everything else so it couldn't be knocked over again. I got     back in bed but a few minutes later it started again!!! Again, I      just answered it by saying "ok I'll get up!" At this, it stopped!!     Strange thing is, it's never happened again....3) One night whilst watching TV by myself (I had the house to      myself for the night) I'd got the lamp on in the living room, and     although it had been on all night, and plugged in very close to     the plug socket, with a very long wire as well - it started to      flash and flicker. Strange thing was I was actually watching      a documentary on ghosts at the time!! :-)     At this, I just said to myself, but loud enough for anyone/     anything else to hear 'I'll deal with it after the programme.'     After saying that, the light came back on and didn't flicker again.4) Also whilst watching TV one night (I tend to do a lot of that :-) )     I heard footsteps again on the staircase. They weren't going     all the way up, just maybe half a dozen stairs then down again.     I just said to whatever it was " Do you mind? I'm trying to      watch this!" and again the noise stopped.I do wonder if it was just something that wanted attention - because after speaking to 'it' a few times, I haven't had anything else happen for at least the last year or so....

mym

Post by mym »

Hehe - I think my post's gone mad (not alligned up properly). Can't you tell I'm a newbie??? lol

franwick

Post by franwick »

I found mym`s message really interesting as it reminded me of something that happened to me just after my mother died. She came to live with me in the last months of her life, and she was one of those - "aw go to bed now luv, you`ve to be up early, leave it now, go to bed.." And i`m one of those, "In a minute..i`ll just do this..then i`ll go.."After she died i would stay up late on my computer downstairs, doing family research and stuff, kids in bed and the house in total silence - except for me tapping away at the pc !One night - it must have been about 12-30 am - i suddenly felt really uneasy, like someone was in the room with me - i spun round on my chair, but there was nothing and no-one. It was weird because i never felt uneasy usually, no matter how late i stayed up by myself - considering i live in the woods !Anyway, the uneasiness continued, but i tried to shrug it off, and carried on working. Then i felt two taps on my shoulder, and i distinctly heard someone whisper in my ear, "Go to bed..."Again i spun round - and nothing - but i did turn my computer off and go to bed - very quickly. I know for a fact it was my mother, and i have had many visits from her. She used to wear some perfume that my sister brought her from spain about two months before she died - it had a musky soapy smell to it -my mother loved it - and that smell is always there when my mother is around. I must admit it`s not the nicest perfume - sort of flowery and old womanish - (sorry mam - but each to their own - as you always used to say...)Anyway, one day when my niece came to see me, we were talking about how my mother had died, and deciding whether we should take action against the hospital - who we felt had neglected her. I said," i wonder what my mam would want us to do...if she would want us to just leave it alone and let her rest in peace..?" Then my niece said, "Are you wearing that perfume that my nanna used to wear ?" I said, " no,but i have got the bottle upstairs in a suitcase in the cupboard." She said, "That`s funny, i just got a whiff of it really strong - but it`s gone now.." There and then i knew that my mother would not want to us to take action - she wanted leaving in peace - that`s what she was like - so that`s what we did. We let it go and left her in peace.There was another time, when my daughter - who had a one year old daughter herself at the time - got a whiff of my mother`s perfume. She had just got the one year old out of a cot and into a little bed. She told me, "Mum, i had put baby to bed and was watching tv when i could smell nanna`s perfume. I walked around the room trying to figure out where it was coming from, and it led me to the baby`s room. When i opened the bedroom door, i saw i had forgotten to put the bed guard up, and the baby`s head was hanging over the side of the bed. If she had fallen down she would have fallen straight onto her head and broken her neck. I couldn`t believe i had been so careless - but nanna saved her by alerting me..."I won`t bore you all by telling you every incident folks - but i`m telling you - the dead do contact us in their own way - and usually with very good reason....
fran

franwick

Post by franwick »

Don`t know why some of my messages aren`t on here - just my name there - but i wanted to tell FLYTZ - mount st. mary`s was actually an orphanage for girls - the nuns did live in another part of it though - and then there was the school - and also the college, where the 'better off' girls went. My mother was in the orphanage - in the 1930`s - for some time - and life was an absolute nightmare for her. The cruelty doled out by the nuns was absolutely unbelievable. A friend of mine - colleen chapman - her mother spent her entire childhood in the orphanage. There is a book written by one of the women who also spent her childhood there - i can`t remember the name of it off the top of my head. I will ask colleen and tell you in another post. After you have read the book - as i have - - trust me - you will understand why that place holds very bad vibes, and terrible memories for a lot of women. I`m not surprised it`s haunted ! I know a lady who lives in skipton, and her father paid for her to go to the mount st mary`s college in the 1930`s, as she hadn`t done so well with her exams he bought her a place - she lived at temple newsam then - and she was astounded to find out the nuns had been so cruel to the orphans. She said they treated her and the other college girls like royalty ! I went to st brigid`s school, and i had a chance to go on to mount st mary`s college - of course i didn`t have to pay - but my mother would have none of it. The mention of mount st mary`s - and remembering being locked in cupboards etc by the nuns - made her break out in a cold sweat !
fran

mym

Post by mym »

I don't really know much about Mount St Mary's school history - but I was brought up Catholic and went to Corpus school. I remember my mum telling me about Mount St Mary's church being haunted by a nun. Don't know much about this though - does anyone else??

mym

Post by mym »

I also remember being told when I was young, that the old Asda at Crossgates was haunted as well. Don't know by what - but I know the building (that's now Mecca) used to be a cinema and the upstairs is supposed to be haunted. I remember shopping as a kid in there, and the upstairs was mostly used for storage. And I also remember the toilets were downstairs near the back. That used to be quite an eerie place, down an out of the way corridor to get to them. I never saw anything myself, but didn't really like going there (could have just been scaremongering though..???)

simonm

Post by simonm »

Not really a ghost sighting etc, but more a fear of the unknown.. when the wife and I were just "courting" we visited a place of darkness to get to know each other better, if you get the drift??We parked up, under the viaduct near pool close to the wharfedale pub, after having a nice meal and drink there! As we were canoodling we both felt this god awfull fear hit us. both at the same time. The feeling was awfull and we both sprang apart and hit the locks on the car. As it was pitch black we could see nothing, but still the feeling was there. I can not explain this and have stayed away during darkness since, although I have parked there to go fishing once or twice during the day. Maybe it was a peeping tom hoping for some after dark athletics, or maybe something more sinister, but BOTH our fight or flight emotions were in over drive that night.. Needless to say we buggered off reet sharpish!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

FLITZ wrote: Where would you like me to start on this subject, Mount st mary's college / school is haunted by a blue nun thought to be a throw back to when the building was a convent,The hark to rover pub on spen lane near kirkstal abbey is haunted by a monk,The town hall and civic hall are said to be haunted by a past caretaker,The Brown cow pub on selby road has a ghost in the cellar,shops on vicar lane and kirkgate are the favourite spot for a victorian lady,The battlefield at Towton moor is haunted by the shades of the combatants from both sides of the war of the roses battle, which happens to be the biggest and bloodiest ever fought on british soil,A poltergeist was so disruptive at the bupa hospital at roundhay that they shut a section of the building,both the lgi and st james hospital have had similar disturbances,Neville hill train depot has it's own phantom worker,if anyone would like to know more I have extensive archive of hauntings in the leeds area,like the maid that still haunts the queens hotel,or the spirit of the mad squire calverley that haunts calverley hall,you can reach me at [email protected]. wow! i remember a guy in lner uniform on a bench in east end park late one evening.my mate asked him for the time and the man vanished,we s**t ourselves.the park is adjacent to neville hill.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

franwick wrote: Don`t know why some of my messages aren`t on here - just my name there - but i wanted to tell FLYTZ - mount st. mary`s was actually an orphanage for girls - the nuns did live in another part of it though - and then there was the school - and also the college, where the 'better off' girls went. My mother was in the orphanage - in the 1930`s - for some time - and life was an absolute nightmare for her. The cruelty doled out by the nuns was absolutely unbelievable. A friend of mine - colleen chapman - her mother spent her entire childhood in the orphanage. There is a book written by one of the women who also spent her childhood there - i can`t remember the name of it off the top of my head. I will ask colleen and tell you in another post. After you have read the book - as i have - - trust me - you will understand why that place holds very bad vibes, and terrible memories for a lot of women. I`m not surprised it`s haunted ! I know a lady who lives in skipton, and her father paid for her to go to the mount st mary`s college in the 1930`s, as she hadn`t done so well with her exams he bought her a place - she lived at temple newsam then - and she was astounded to find out the nuns had been so cruel to the orphans. She said they treated her and the other college girls like royalty ! I went to st brigid`s school, and i had a chance to go on to mount st mary`s college - of course i didn`t have to pay - but my mother would have none of it. The mention of mount st mary`s - and remembering being locked in cupboards etc by the nuns - made her break out in a cold sweat ! my mum in-law went there as a child and told me that the cruelty of the nuns was totaly barbaric!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Dan

Post by Dan »

Get this! i wo once just chillin in my room , the tv was on but not loud so it wo pretty quiet in my room , my cat was sleepin on the end of the bed and had been for the past 2hours or so. suddenly the cat jumped straight up like it had been shot n run to the door i wo sat shocked n thought it had been bitten by my spider or snake cos they are kept in tanks at bottom of bed but all were in there i picked the cat back up n tried puttin it back in the same spot , no chance it put its claws out n wo tryin t arch its back like when they see a dog n about to fight,it wo really scared of this spot all of a sudden, i managed t put it back ther against its will n alot of strugglin but it just froze, crept along the length of my bed starin staright at that spot , walked along the head of the bed all the time stayin close to the wall n then jumped down between tv and draws n run to the door again cryin lookin back to the spot then to me then to the door then all over again, i then joined it runnin down stairs shittin mysen. ther bin alot of things happen in this house all abit 2long to describe but my god it scares me sumtimes. i now got a plan that if i see one i guna run straight at it cos i may be propa scared but if i do that then the quicker itll disapear hopefully , well thats the plan