Hauntings

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
FLITZ

Post by FLITZ »

Where would you like me to start on this subject, Mount st mary's college / school is haunted by a blue nun thought to be a throw back to when the building was a convent,The hark to rover pub on spen lane near kirkstal abbey is haunted by a monk,The town hall and civic hall are said to be haunted by a past caretaker,The Brown cow pub on selby road has a ghost in the cellar,shops on vicar lane and kirkgate are the favourite spot for a victorian lady,The battlefield at Towton moor is haunted by the shades of the combatants from both sides of the war of the roses battle, which happens to be the biggest and bloodiest ever fought on british soil,A poltergeist was so disruptive at the bupa hospital at roundhay that they shut a section of the building,both the lgi and st james hospital have had similar disturbances,Neville hill train depot has it's own phantom worker,if anyone would like to know more I have extensive archive of hauntings in the leeds area,like the maid that still haunts the queens hotel,or the spirit of the mad squire calverley that haunts calverley hall,you can reach me at richard.fletcher60@ntlworld.com.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Absolutely fascinating Flitz! Sounds like you could put a book together with all your information! Keep it coming!

phaze

Post by phaze »

Very interesting info guy!I suspect theres still many places in Leeds that our haunted, that are just not publicised.I think this site is perfect for bring them forward.All good stuff.

gothic

Post by gothic »

yes i know about the blue nun becuse my oldest brother went to that school. even though he never saw it he heard of many people and teachers seeing the ghost. But here's the weird thing the ghost was only seen on the ground floor with her feet beleow the floor line.
Into the sky we win or we die!

franwick

Post by franwick »

FLITZ wrote: Where would you like me to start on this subject, Mount st mary's college / school is haunted by a blue nun thought to be a throw back to when the building was a convent,The hark to rover pub on spen lane near kirkstal abbey is haunted by a monk,The town hall and civic hall are said to be haunted by a past caretaker,The Brown cow pub on selby road has a ghost in the cellar,shops on vicar lane and kirkgate are the favourite spot for a victorian lady,The battlefield at Towton moor is haunted by the shades of the combatants from both sides of the war of the roses battle, which happens to be the biggest and bloodiest ever fought on british soil,A poltergeist was so disruptive at the bupa hospital at roundhay that they shut a section of the building,both the lgi and st james hospital have had similar disturbances,Neville hill train depot has it's own phantom worker,if anyone would like to know more I have extensive archive of hauntings in the leeds area,like the maid that still haunts the queens hotel,or the spirit of the mad squire calverley that haunts calverley hall,you can reach me at richard.fletcher60@ntlworld.com.
fran

franwick

Post by franwick »

About five years ago i went on a guided tour of mount st mary`s school as my mother went there as a child, and i don`t know if this is the same place in the school that you are talking about, but i was shown a tiny room - i think it led off from the main hall somewhere - sort of like a little office. I was told by the teacher who was guiding me that this small room was once part of a confessional box where the children would go to say their their confession when the priest came into school - probably during my mother`s time there - many moons ago anyway. She said she was working late in there one evening and had a feeling she was being watched and left in quite a hurry ! She told me other people have felt a presence there too. I tell you what - i was completely spooked by that little " room " - and would not have worked late there while the school was empty - not for any amount of money ! It had a horrible feel to it. If you fancy a tour of the school and to see the spooky room and hear the stories, you can ring mount st mary`s school any time - they are always happy to show people around. You do have to ring and make the appointment first though. Well worth the trip i thought, i thoroughly enjoyed it.
fran

FLITZ

Post by FLITZ »

It might be of interest but the original building was a convent.

gorwell

Post by gorwell »

Hi all - just discovered this site via another thread - super site!!Anyway - a couple of stories for you regarding hauntings (and tunnels strangely)1) My mum has told me that when she was younger (early teens) she had a friend in kirkstall/bramley who's house had a cellar - in the cellar was a door that led to a tunnel (which had been bricked up both to the left and right of the door) - apparantly some of the tunnel was still visible i.e. when you opened the door you could stand in the "tunnel" - apparantly this tunnel was from kirkstall abbey as a secret passage for the monks(?) to escape through if needed - several times my mums friend heard noises from the tunnel and when she the first time she went to investigate she saw a monk walk right past her!! She never investigated any noises again - could be a tall tale - but my mum only went into the cellar once and never again - I will try and find out where the house was for future reference.2) Block of flats in Armley are 100% haunted by a faceless man dressed all in black (Burnsall Croft) - both my Grandma (still alive) and Grandad (now dead) saw the ghost many times (although they have lived their for over 50 years) - but the two times that really spooked me was when my grandad said he felt a cold presence in the lift with him on his way up to the 10th floor(!) and when he looked around the "ghost" was standing directly behind him and he just faced forward and said "how do!" when he reached his floor he stepped out and looked in again and nothing was there but he was drip white when he got to his flat and the second time was when my grandma was making her bed and she was at the end of her bed "fluffing" the quilt when she felt something watching her - she looked to the doorway of the bedroom and the ghost was standing looking into the bedroom - her reply was "oh go away" and she carried on with what she was doing - when she looked up again it was gone and the final time was when I was playing hide and seek with my brother in the flat (which has 6 rooms so not many places to hide!) I was about 11 and had hidden under the bed in my grandma's room - my brother was 8 at the time - I waited for ages for him to find me and was looking away from the door - the next thing I knew were two feet walk right past the end of the bed (which surprised me as I hadn't heard the door open) - so I laid very still so he couldn't find me - I waited and waited for him to walk past the bed (the direction the feet headed in was the window of the bedroom 10 floors up) at which point I thought he must be sat on the bed waiting for me to come put at which point he would say "caught you" - so I got out from under the bed to find no-one in the room and the bedroom door still shut - when I went out of the bedroom I went to find my brother who was now sat in the lounge with my Mum Dad Grandma and Grandad watching telly - I asked him why he had stopped looking and he said he couldn't find me - so I asked him why he had come into the bedroom to which he replied he hadn't as we weren't suppose to hide in the main bedroom - everyone else denied that they had been in the bedroom - not surprisingly this was the last time I played hide and seek at my grandparents flats - hairs on my neck went up half way through typing this again 3) Last one was in the grounds of Fulneck Private School - a group of us had got up early (in those days!) at about 6.00am and decided to go to the fulneck for a mess around the grounds, beck, woods etc. when we got there (about 6.20am) we saw a young boy (maybe 7/8 years old) stood on a bridge that crossed the beck - we all shouted and whistled to get his attention as we approached as it seemed very very odd for someone so young to be out at this time in the morning especially what appeared to be by themselves - the closer we got (still some distance away) you could see his clothes looked old fashioned (short pants and knee high socks - almost like victorian(?) times - anyway he never responded and as we talked amongst ourselves as we approached him he disappered - now I am not saying he disappeared before our very eyes but he was there one second and the next he had gone completely - he never ever looked in our direction or appeared to move - this was a weird one (insert clueless smiley here )

gorwell

Post by gorwell »

Oooh just remembered another one - the "hampton" in Pudsey (the basement of the conservative club) was definitely haunted - the ghost was seen by several staff members and the family that owned the restaurant - I worked there a few times and it was NOT a place I enjoyed even with people around - it was certainly NOT a place I liked to be when there were two of you left at 2.00am and you had to clear everything up and turn the lights off - creepy place

mym

Post by mym »

Just found the site - and love it!!!My recent ghostly experience happened a couple of nights ago. I went with my partner for a drive. We decided to drive near Roundhay, and turned off the main road, next to the pub at Princes Avenue, and along the side road towards the Mansion.As it was dark and late we decided to turn round in the car park near the Mansion and set back. I stopped the car for a few minutes though - and had the most awful feeling of dread!!!We didn't actually see anything there, and I'm not afraid of ghosts etc (and believe in them as I've had a few experiences over the years) - but I just had to get out of there as quickly as I could!!!The feeling wasn't of just a ghost or ghosts - but more of something evil or bad that had happened there.My partner did tell me that a park warden had been murdered in the park in the past though, and there have been reports of screams during the night. Anyone know anymore about this...???And my mum has also told me stories of people drowning in the lake over the years, because of a hole in the middle(?) I suppose these events could have something to do with it, but I won't be going up there again while its dark!!! lol