Terror On The Road

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Hubby and I were visiting friends about 50 miles away at the other side of York. I was designated driver, so was on soft drinks all evening. It was around 1:30am when we set off home - hubby was rather inebriated, so fell asleep 5 minutes into the journey! Along the A64 home, the fog was rolling in off the fields, in large thick patches, which would suddenly clear. I was wide awake and I didn't feel in the least bit tired. The rest of the journey was relatively trouble free, although I did have a rather nagging feeling of unease, which I just couldn't explain. I wondered if it was because the roads were lonely, I had no-one to chat to, as my husband was still fast asleep and I just had the radio on for company. The unease continued, with no real explanation, until we were around 7 miles from home; the time was approaching 2-30am. The feeling lifted a bit as I knew we were nearly home. It was almost relief. Until I got to Horsforth roundabout. This was around 02-45am. As I started the approach down the hill, to Rodley, I began to feel overwhelmingly terrified. The nearer I got to the dip in the valley, the more the panic was rising. There was no explanation for this at all. I tried to wake my husband, with no success. I tried to get a grip of myself, to no avail. There were no cars around at all; in fact, when I thought back, I hadn't seen another car on the road, either direction, for at least three quarters of an hour. With the sheer terror beginning to escalate, I was almost at the bridge when I "saw" it. (I say "saw" because I didn't dare look at it directly; I had the overwhelming feeling that if I looked at it, I would die). Stood at the side of the road and looking directly at me, was a very tall, shaggy, brown or black, fur covered shape. At my estimation, it must have stood over 2m tall, around 1.2m wide, with no visible limbs or eyes, but I sensed that the eyes were there somewhere, as I could feel them boring into the car. Needless to say, I had to get away from this "thing", so I accelerated away from it. As I passed, I stared straight ahead, not daring to look left. I looked back in the rear view mirror, to see "it" step off the kerb and into the road where I had just driven. By the time I reached our house, I was panic stricken, I needed to get in and lock the door. My husband couldn't understand what was wrong with me. I explained what had happened, but he said that it was probably a tree and my mind was playing tricks on me! I knew what I had seen and it was no tree. How could a tree make me so scared and step out into the road? Next morning, in the cold light of dayand with a sense of apprehensive curiosity, I decided to drive back and see if there had been a tree there. But as I suspected, there was nothing there that I could have misinterpreted. The story doesn't quite end there. . . I decided to research and write the book a few months later, about people’s paranormal experiences in my area. I'd placed an advert and had a feature in our local paper; including my horror story and asking for people to write in to me. I had a lot of response, mainly UFO sightings. But then one day, I opened a letter that made my blood run cold. A young man wrote to me, to say that he worked at a supermarket a couple of miles away, on the twilight shift, between 8pm and 2am. He frequently walked home, the last third of his journey passed the end of my street and down into the village. Around 400 metres from my house, is our village church, which is opposite a row of shops. As he had approached the church, he saw two figures crouching in the middle of the road. He slowed down to almost a stop. There were no cars around at all. At first, the figures didn't appear to notice the young man. He said they made no sound. Then they looked up at him, stood up and walked away towards the shops and around the back of them. He followed them round a few seconds later and they had gone. The figures he described were exactly the same as the one I had seen that night on the drive home! I have no idea what I saw or what the young man saw, but the terror that event caused me, will stay with me forever. If anyone else has had a similar experience, or knows what it was, please let me know, I'd be really interested!

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

PS - I hasten to point out that I do not smoke strange cigs, take funny tablets or be of unsound mind...Honest! I am open minded, rational and fully "compus mentus"!!!

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I think the strange figure you saw was Jimmy Saville out for a jog.    Sorry LeedsLass, your story is fascinating and i have to say that me and my partner were returning home down the hill from horsforth to rodley in the early hours one night in the summer. She saw a figure half in and half out of of the bushes on the left near the bottom of the hill. She freaked!!..she made me go up to rodley roundabout and turn around to go back...when we got there the figure had gone. I didnt see it but she says that if it was a bloke, it would have been a very strange one. I believe she saw it, i have an open mind, dont forget though, thats not far from the Bradford border and there are some strange Bradfordians out there!!...If they are from the spirit world could they be prehistoric??...its only 8,000 years ago that the valley we are talking about was a large river flowing down from the giant waterfall at malham cove, what were the people of the time like?? different from us i would think...i always find it strange that we never see the spirits of ancients, as i said...i have an open mind and i know that my other half saw something strange in that spot.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Jeepers! I have to say, even if hubby had been awake and not 3 sheets to the wind, I know that there is no way I would have gone back for another look! For over an hour before I saw "it", the hairs were standing up on the back of my neck. Obviously, I had no idea why at that point. I wondered if they had been carrying out horrific experiments at Sandoz and something had escaped!!! Which is highly unlikely. . .I think?!!!?

phaze

Post by phaze »

Thats pretty mental to be honest LeedsLas, I tell you summat, if I saw anything like that, id be a nervous wreck lol. The fact that another person has had an incident in the same place, makes you think...

Troll

Post by Troll »

Hi,interesting story Leeds Lass.Just to say the company I work for are, within the next 6 months, moving to the same estate as Sandoz. I'll keep an eye out.And look the other way!!Could "it" have been a monk? A dead one of course. Thinking of Kirkstall Abbey not being too far away from this area.
Go the Rhinos.

LittleBigDave

Post by LittleBigDave »

To be fair, it does seem like your husband was right.I would love to believe it was something paranormal, I really would, but the fact that you were panicky for an hour beforehand suggests that you scared yourself into seeing something that wasn't there. It is a really easy thing to do.Just think of all the times you watch scary films or hear a scary story or a scared for whatever reason and then end up frightening yourself unnecessarily; no matter how adamant you are that something is after you, it is really just imagination. I may be wrong, maybe it was something inexplicable, but I doubt it.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

No sorry LittleBigDave, I totally disagree! I saw what I saw, the fact is, I had nothing to be jittery about, I was just driving and listening to the radio. Nothing else to spook me. I'm not given to the "mass hysteria" kind of thing. If I sense or see something, then I do. If I don't, I don't, simple as! It was definately no monk either. Though I have no real idea what the hell (and it probably came from there!!!) it was!

LittleBigDave

Post by LittleBigDave »

I hope you're right. I am all for the supernatural, I just tend to approach it with scepticism to avoid disappointment. Just a general comment though; you don't have to have something that you are consciously worried about or be hysterical to have a brief moment of unease or panic... It can just happen (though if it happens too often, that could be a worry). Anway, good luck seeking out an answer. I am still going to side with your hubby, but at the end of the day I wasn't there and you were!

FLITZ

Post by FLITZ »

Hi leeds lass I might be able to shed a little light on the matter, the area around rodley bottom has had these sightings before, both in the 60's and 70's there were reports of what witnesses described as monks but with fur habits and cowls, the witnesses to these events stated that they too felt a feeling of fear as they approached the area one of the subjects stated that what he thought he saw were people in fancy dress coming from the pub near the canal, thinking they'de had a few late drinks at the pub he let them cross the road it was only after he witnessed them dissappear in front of him that he had an overwhelming feeling of dread.Given the locations close proximity to the abbey then who knows.