rothwell leisure center - haunted?

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Double post.    
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Lots of info on Oulton Hall here it seems:http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/ ... c223&cid=0

ads

Post by ads »

I'm sure Deveres wouldn't want reminding of this bit of history for their 5 star hotel, probably prefer to remember when it was the home of the local gentry!

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

DeVere's used to hate the Leeds City Council Gold coourse sign at the entrance and as soon as they bought the lease the sign went.

ads

Post by ads »

I take it you're a native of Rothwell?

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Aye. Born and bred. I love the place. Two mins from countryside and all the facilities of a small town in a village atmosphere.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I somehow managed to miss this thread last year.just a belated addition.There used to be a holy well at the back of the playing fields behind the sports centre. it is marked on the old maps of oulton from around 1850.You often get ghosts around water such as old springs,wells or as previously mentioned,ponds.Fascinating stories though.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

casiodan

Post by casiodan »

Again a late addition but nevermind.My Auntie & Uncle owned the house next to the three horse shoes in oulton. That was a very strange place to be. It is apparently built on an old quaker burial ground and there is an area of the graveyard opposite which is a quaker burial site. The stories above of sightings linked to quakers would certainly tie in with this. Spooky stuff.I only went to the house a few times but i remember it being a strange atmosphere and my dad has told me many stories of unexplained goings on.

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Hi casiodan please expand on these unexplained goings on.

casiodan

Post by casiodan »

well just the usual type of 'ghost story' really, seeing figures, things moving etc. My dad said he only witnessed one thing and that was when he went to visit one day, to get to the kitchen you walked through the living room and when he arrived he went through to the kitchen to see if his sister was in there, there was a bloke sat in the living room who he didn't know but said hello and assumed it was a visitor. He heard his sister in the kitchen so went through. He asked who the man was and as im sure you have guessed by now, his sister said there wasn't anyone else in the house, when they went back to the living room there was nobody there.It may well have been one of the fairy tails that often go around but i dont know why he would have told me that. Unfortunately i am not in touch with that part of my family anymore so i can't give you anymore info. I was mainly linking the quaker stories previously with the quaker burials in that area.Dan