rothwell leisure center - haunted?

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
corsasi

Post by corsasi »

hi i work at rothwell leisure center and have heard numerous stories about hauntings....about ten years ago 2 kids got ran over and killed outside the center when they on their way to come swimming, that night after all the lights had been turned off in the pool and the floor dried an stuff, the lad who was cleaning the changing rooms heard 2 kids voices and giggling and splashing so he ran into the pool room thinking some kids had gone back in (because its illegal to have people in the pool without a lifeguard on) and he turned the lights on and saw 2 kids climb out of the pool and walk straight through the closed changing room door.he went to tell the manager and everyone laughed at him saying it was his imagination, but they followed him to the pool anyway, when they got there they saw two sets of wet footprints going from poolside to the changing rooms.the guy who saw them handed his notice in the very next day.a few people have reported seeing strange figures in the plant room.and once an old man was sitting on a fireescape stairs, and one of the women from the center said to him "sorry love you cant sit there" and turned round, she heard him say sorry and when she looked around straight away hed just disappeared, and if he had ran off hed of had to run past her, as there were closed doors at the bottom of the fire escape stairs.its also an eeire kinda of palce on a night, when we are locking up and all the lights are off you always feel like things are moving etc.all in all, rather strange.

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

I may be wrong but I'm sure its built on or near an old Roman army camp or some such what with the goings on at Oulton Hall its quite a Haunted hot spot by the sounds of it.

corsasi

Post by corsasi »

whats happened at oulton hall?last week whilst we were cleaning i was doing the bar and oen of my mates was doing the changing rooms, and he doesnt belive in any of this stuff, but he heard someone nocking on the shutters from the poolside, as if someone had been locked in the pool sorta fing.and on saturday he was walkin down the stairs an said he felt like someone had tapped him on the shoulder, but no one was there.

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

It was a mental hospital in a previous life and then lay derelict for many years I remember playing down there in the Summer Holidays when we were kids before that it was obviously a stately pile I have heard a few tales a couple of haunted rooms stair cases etc but nothing expansive.

Misc

Post by Misc »

I realise this is a bit late...my colleague used to work at Rothwell leisure centre and she says it was a horrible place to be in after hours, weird noises, things moving around etc

Rushers

Post by Rushers »

At about 11.15pm on a Saturday night in July 1975 a girlfriend and I had been in the Coach and Horses in Rothwell (only had a pint and 'alf) and were walking back to Oulton. As we crossed the field in Rothwell Park between Oulton Hall and the old "Edvs Taylor" house near the roundabout we saw two figures stood in the field about fifteen yards away. It was a very warm clear night and we could see them as clear as day. Both were dressed as Quakers and one was a man stood behind a woman with his hands on her shoulders. We stood looking at each other for about five to ten seconds (us and the figures) when they suddenly weren't there. They neither faded away nor vanished in an instant, they just weren't there any more. Both of us saw them clearly and it frightened us to death. We got to her house and told her dad who, a few days later, told us he'd done a bit of research and discovered that that area of the park was, in the past, a Quaker plague pit burial site.How true that bit is I don't know but I do know what we both saw that night was real.

ads

Post by ads »

I used to work at Rothwell Sports Centre a lot of years ago, whilst I wouldn't like to comment about ghosts and the like, the fire escape from the old squash court viewing gallery was always freezing cold, and put the fear of god up you even in the middle of summer. It always felt very unnerving around that area when you were checking around last thing at night with most of the lights out. The plant room was something else in those days with the old coal boilers, very Freddy Kruger.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

i think Rothwell Leisure Centre is definately a spooky place, i think the dark brick in the corridors doesn't help. I couldn't work anywhere that spooky things happened in, I'd be too jumpy.The part of Rothweell park being referred to also had three hanging trees. We used to muck about at Oulton Hall as well, there were derelict pre-fabs where children with learnin disabiolities were cared for and that was quite spooky, there were also rumoured to be chains on the wall in the basements.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

ads

Post by ads »

Don't forget the locaal legends of the looney pond in fornt of the hall, so named because an unfortunate resident of Oulton Hall allegedley drowned in there. I can also remember the remains of the old padded cells and the mesh across the atrium of the main building to stop the residents throwing themselves to their death over the balconys of the upper floors. Oulton Hall was a regular childhood playground.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

There was a big pool at the back left of the house, surrounded by tennic court fencing. It was like a swimming pool with concrete sides and it was pretty ghastly when I saw it. I'd love to know what it was used fro, it can't really have beena swimming pool surely.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.