Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
book

Post by book »

Taken from the Leeds Author who will be publishing - Tales of Ducky and Boob, Summer MischiefTwo boys growing up in Leeds in the 1960sHaunted House.    We set off from our usual meeting place at the top of Ganton Steps and headed for the haunted house. The haunted house had been given its name by the locals who believed that the house was haunted. Several people had seen ghosts and been frightened by visions of old nuns who used to run the house as an orphanage for young boys. It was a long walk towards the house, nearly a mile and a half from home. We arrived at the gate that creaked as we opened it. We stepped slowly to the main door that had been boarded up. We looked for a way to enter the building but all windows were boarded and there was a small hole in the roof that was our only chance of entering the house. We shimmied an old iron fall pipe that only went up as far as the gutter that had been broken and hung down from the eaves. One at a time we climbed the pipe then swung for the gutter and hauled ourselves up onto the roof. Once on the roof we crawled over the slippery slates and made for the hole in the roof. Ducky went in first, I then followed and dropped through the hole onto some rotten floorboards which cracked even more as our feet landed on them. There was very little light only a little that was coming in through the hole in the roof. We slowly moved towards a staircase that was decayed and very slowly we shuffled down the stairs on our bottoms. As we arrived at the bottom of the stairs our eyes were drawn to the cellar door, we went through the door and down some more stone steps into the basement. There were cobwebs that stuck to our faces as we walked round the cellar as slowly as we could, we had no torch but our eyes adjusted to the darkness and we could see objects that had to be negotiated so that we didn’t collide as we walked around. All of a sudden we heard doors opening and the hinges were creaking as they swung open, we looked at one another fearful that the ghost of the haunted house had heard us come in and was now about to frighten us to death. Footsteps started to walk around above us and there was a torch light bouncing off walls and its light flickered down the cellar staircase. Our breathing became slower and we could hear breaths in the dark room. We crouched as low as we could then, we slipped on some damp pieces of wood which made a noise, the footsteps sounded closer now and we huddled in a corner as the footsteps got nearer, by now we were terrified as the light came down the steps, the torch shining on the walls as if it was searching for someone, we remained still and the footsteps began to fade as if going away from us. Door hinges again creaked as they were closing and being banged closed. When it was all quiet we made our way slowly back up the stone cellar steps, when reaching the top we looked for a way out but all doors were shut and locked, the door to the staircase where we had come down was locked and a howling noise started to sound like a ghostly wind!!! Crickey this was frightening, we had no way out and it was dark and damp, the noise got louder and louder, we were now close to tears as the ghost of the haunted house was with us, a sudden freezing temperature became nearly intolerable as we huddled once more before the ghost that we never believed existed came to get us. A door was pushed open and daylight flooded into the room, a shout from a man’s voice said, come out of there, come out of there, he entered the room and passed us so we fled for the door and ran as fast as we could down the drive towards the road and onto woodhouse moor. He chased us for a while in his corporation green car so we took shortcuts over the moor and left him on the road behind us, phew!!! We had come close to getting caught and we had been in a terrifying situation in the house. It had been another exiting day and we arranged to meet at our usual place in the morning, we were both very dirty and our faces were covered in filthy dirt from the house.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Ganton Steps? Where's that when it's at home? Oh - and the author might want to do a spell check. HTH.

book

Post by book »

Sorry about the spelling Geordie Exile, Ganton Steps was in Woodhouse, a double flight of yorks stone steps that linked one street to another.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

baby-cakes

Post by baby-cakes »

weenie wrote: is there also something over her right shoulder or is it me with the photo playing tricks? it looks like one of them old style dolls that you used to get in the victorian clothing
baby-cakes

leepots

Post by leepots »

I haven’t experienced this haunting myself but my mother remembers it vividly.My great Aunt used to live in a house on(or just off) Kent Road in Pudsey, when my mum spent the night there on a weekend there was always creeks upstairs and she refused to go to the loo or upstairs alone after seeing a little boy on the landing. On a morning they would go downstairs for breakfast and items would have moved slightly in the living room.The local story was that the little boy once lived in the house but was run over whilst playing in the street outside and when the ornaments and photos in the living room were moved he was looking for his own belongings.Not sure how true this story is – but mum does remember the little boy on the landing (she is in her 50’s now so I presume this happened in the early 70’s)

p

Post by p »

Leedsrich wrote: Dont know if this is any help but a friend of mine went to mount st marys and he used to tell me about a piano being played when the school was empty, the caretaker reported this apparently. He also mentioned something about a church or something attatched to the school? He told me some stories about this too, how true these are im not sure, maybe just rumours? But the music/piano story is true as far as im concerned. My friend isn't a beleiver in ghosts and would never mention anything about the paranormal unless he was pretty sure what he's been told is true. Just to let you know Mount St Mary's is known to be haunted by a nun and may also be haunted by as group of Polish or Russian homeless labourers working on part of the school site. I vaguley remember a teacher mentioning that the school prior to it being a school was a home for nuns connected to Mount St Marys church next door, not sure why a nun haunts the school, but it was mentioned in a tour of the school by said teacher that a nun frequently walks round the school at night. Many locals have also mentioned about 3 Polish or Russian labourers who sought shelter from a really cold night back in the 60s in the school's boiler room, the fumes from the boiler unfortunatly affected them and they died. In case anybody on here who went there is curious, I went there between 1989 and 1993.

p

Post by p »

Leeds Lass wrote: I remember that murder in the 80's and yes it was in the butchers shop!! Just on the left as you go down the side of the Yorkshire bank. We used to get our sausages from there! Skinners rings a bell? I think it was two names, but Skinners was one of them. Anybody know? Think their may have been 2 murders on that street as I remember a bakers on Fish Street called Firth and Payne (took a while to think of it's name!) where a body was found inside the shop during the late 80s or early 90s. Think it was the owner but may be wrong.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Ian R P wrote: Hi,I remember a shop on Fish street that is now a hairdressers, used to be a butchers and there was a murder there in the 80's. That may have a connection. See item 2 Fish Street + answershttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=3554

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

p wrote: Leeds Lass wrote: I remember that murder in the 80's and yes it was in the butchers shop!! Just on the left as you go down the side of the Yorkshire bank. We used to get our sausages from there! Skinners rings a bell? I think it was two names, but Skinners was one of them. Anybody know? Think their may have been 2 murders on that street as I remember a bakers on Fish Street called Firth and Payne (took a while to think of it's name!) where a body was found inside the shop during the late 80s or early 90s. Think it was the owner but may be wrong. Yes i remember it,i worked close by at the time.I think the murderer set alight to the shop,the fire brigade came,and then found the body.Not sure what happened viz the murderer
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »