Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

a phantom butler used to haunt the old BBC studios on woodhouse Lane. I don't know whether there was confusion with Beckett Park at some stage?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Leeds Hippo wrote: saracen67 wrote: [quoteCould you point the place out on Google Streetview? Maybe old maps will reveal something. Google map ref:53.875746,-1.707454Picture view is from the back of the flats, but if you view from the road it still has the for sale sign up (I know the pics aren't real time) Picture of the flat I pass by here often and wondered why the flat had been up for sale for so long. The building next to the flats used to be a chemists shop with living accomodation and the land the flats were built on was the garden. Not sure what was there before then but will have a look in my local history books.

saracen67

Post by saracen67 »

Leeds Hippo wrote: saracen67 wrote: [quoteCould you point the place out on Google Streetview? Maybe old maps will reveal something. Google map ref:53.875746,-1.707454Picture view is from the back of the flats, but if you view from the road it still has the for sale sign up (I know the pics aren't real time) Looked at a few old maps and there appears to be a building on the site at a strange angle to the other buildings - no mention of what was though - wonder if any histories of Guiseley would reveal more - curious there is a funeral directors just near by.As I say I found at the library in a Guiseley history book that a lean too shed had been there years before and was used as the local slaughterhouse for the 3 butchers in Guiseley at the time.More on the flat story my mother in law also has informed me that her neighbours at the time she was there, kept telling her while she was out of the flat it sounded like all hell was let loose with banging and scrapingsounds. Also we had a dogs in the family but visiting her they wouldn't set foot in the flat easily and especially wouldn't go near the rear bedroom and would sit looking up at the door of bedroom growling. She also said it was cold there in the flat all the time even with the heating full on and the bedroom in particular was like a freezer.Years on from her moving every time I've walked past the rear of the flat on the school run walk, you get a very cold shiver and the feeling something is watching you from the rear right window on the corner (the bedroom) To explain it feels like something is looking into our reality like someone in a TV looking out into the real world around us.    

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

saracen67 wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: saracen67 wrote: [quoteCould you point the place out on Google Streetview? Maybe old maps will reveal something. Google map ref:53.875746,-1.707454Picture view is from the back of the flats, but if you view from the road it still has the for sale sign up (I know the pics aren't real time) Looked at a few old maps and there appears to be a building on the site at a strange angle to the other buildings - no mention of what was though - wonder if any histories of Guiseley would reveal more - curious there is a funeral directors just near by. Sorry saracen67 didn't pick up on the slaughter house detail - pic of the back bedroom - gives me the shivers thinking about it!I've always been intrigued by why we are "frightened" of ghosts and more so why animals are - we tend to be frightened by things that represent danger like heights or snakes. What "danger" is present?    
Attachments
__TFMF_erpdr3rna55zki45414rsb2i_abfd3c5a-5871-41da-b34c-11e25df9da04_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_erpdr3rna55zki45414rsb2i_abfd3c5a-5871-41da-b34c-11e25df9da04_0_main.jpg (67.31 KiB) Viewed 15168 times

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

not all animals are frightened by ghosts. in my own experiences ,most cats were fascinated by them(they seem to like magical equipment as well!) whilst dogs were scared.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

saracen67

Post by saracen67 »

Leeds Hippo wrote: Looked at a few old maps and there appears to be a building on the site at a strange angle to the other buildings - no mention of what was though - wonder if any histories of Guiseley would reveal more - curious there is a funeral directors just near by. Sorry saracen67 didn't pick up on the slaughter house detail - pic of the back bedroom - gives me the shivers thinking about it!I've always been intrigued by why we are "frightened" of ghosts and more so why animals are - we tend to be frightened by things that represent danger like heights or snakes. What "danger" is present?    Leeds Hippo I decided to have a trip to the library today after posting the other evening and I actually found the book again and here's the details:'Round and about Aireborough' by Martin Rigg page 8 has a picture looking from the church tower and a paragraph starting as follows: 'On the right opposite the Co-op is a squat building now the site of flats, which was a slaughterhouse for Ernest (Porkie) Brown. His shop was opposite at what is now the florists. Two other butchers, S. W. Ogden and E. D. Lumby on the west and east sides of Towngate also used the building'.On another note I used to work at HRH and experienced some strange nghts shifts over the time I spent working there on the wards. and one tale I may post at some point about the ghostly white face at the quiet room door window seen by a staff member then being seen later in the early hours of the morning by a patient stating it had been a figure walking through the wall then telling him to do bad things..........the staff on the shift went drip white themselves I can tell you!    

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Came across this curious reference in a book from 1854Fiends, Ghosts and Spriteshttp://books.google.com/books?id=a_7GovfK_nkC&pg=PA111&dq=ghosts+oldfield+lane+leeds&hl=en&ei=PpnKTJysLY6Vswav5KGpAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false"A few hundred feet from the place where this occurred, is a lane Oldfield Lane, Wortley, near Leeds) which was noted, many years ago, as the beat of one of those simewhat rare spectres, a headless ghost. Some are living even now who have known those who had seen this phantom. When last seen, it appeared as a comfortable-looking man, dressed in a drab-coat, and carried the head under the arm. As a Yorkshire version of a very ancient and wide-spread superstition, its memory is worth preserving."Never heard of this before - question is why Oldfield Lane. Update on thishttp://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/07/decapitated-knight.htmlQuoteThere's a little lane in Wortley, England (near Leeds), where the ghost of a Yorkshire nobleman executed during the English Civil War is reportedly seen once or twice a year, carrying his head beneath his armMust see if I can find a list of those executed during the civil war!

LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

Have any of you heard tales about a haunting at Ivy House on York Road? It used to be a co-op store but is now an independant convenience store and a take away. Its accross the road from Benfield Ford, i think it was number 272 but it was a few years ago since i worked there so i may have that wrong!I never saw any thing unusual but there was always an eery feel to the place, especially the basement which was empty and unused, and the upstairs which was empty and only had the toilets up there!I can recall a few 'strange' happenings and a few old tales from the local people, it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has any info on the place! I've sent a link to a few colleagues that used to work there too, hopefully they will chiop in with some info!

loinerchris

Post by loinerchris »

I went to mount st marys school, i am sure it is haunted even tho i never saw anything, the building is, in parts very eerie indeed, it used to be a orphanage and convent, the most notable areas of intrest are the top of the building, if you are coming up the hill past saxton gardens at night the lights are always on in the old section where the music rooms are, my mum works at the school, and is always coming home with stories of paranormal goings on.

Leedsrich

Post by Leedsrich »

Dont know if this is any help but a friend of mine went to mount st marys and he used to tell me about a piano being played when the school was empty, the caretaker reported this apparently. He also mentioned something about a church or something attatched to the school? He told me some stories about this too, how true these are im not sure, maybe just rumours? But the music/piano story is true as far as im concerned. My friend isn't a beleiver in ghosts and would never mention anything about the paranormal unless he was pretty sure what he's been told is true.