Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

I like this thread though I have never seen a ghost.I recently read a book called "Who's There?" by Collette Shires.This book is mainly set in the Sheepscar and Potternewton area of Leeds. It focuses on the true eerie experiences of the Slater family which includes a house falling down for no apparent reason,this was the headlines in the Yorkshire Evening Post at that time.It was scary stuff indeed !

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

zodiac Angel wrote: I wish i had found this thread a few days ago just spent ages reading all your messages. I started a thread other day but i think i offened people and i got what i would call rudeness. I am a Paranormal investigater based in Leeds. Always looking for locations that might be haunted. My Team have visited some places in Leeds that live up to their stories. The Abbey Inn pub was a great investigation. Kirkstall Abbey was another great nights investigation. I am always intersted in anything Paranormal, i can see spirits have done since i was small. I have had to do few house clearings from nasty spirits too. I am really pleased to meet you all Yvonne Paranormal Addicts Team Leader The earlier thread sadly got rather off-topic to the title zodiac and with agreement between several available moderators was deleted as having little left to offer in the spirit of Secret Leeds. ( reading this back - the last phrase was unintentiona,l honest)I'm glad to see you've found this one, let's hope it stays as it is intended but do remember, other people's opinions on the subject may be markedly different to your own and they are likely to say so - that isn't them trying to be rude; be assured that anything posted where the intention is clearly to be rude on the other hand, will be dealt with as on any other thread. Time for a little live and let live with this one     

saracen67

Post by saracen67 »

My mother in law had a ground floor flat that was newly built in the centre of towngate in Guiseley. She had some very nasty goings on over the short period of time she lived there and we also heard the young lady who purchased it afterwards left only a few months after purchasing due to strange goings on. It has been empty for at least 8 years now.My mother in laws story started when she started experiencing cold and uneasy feelings of someone else in the flat, it all seemed to centre around the bedroom and over a few weeks she started to hear a voice that seemed to be made up of many voices but not coherent enough to make out what it was saying until one night while she was reading a book in bed it shouted out profanities. She was rather shaken with this and didn't tell the family until she experienced a night she will never forget when she went to turn the bedside light out and was suddenly grabbed and pinned to the bed unable to move.She later informed us she had asked the local vicar from the nearby church to come round and he obliged with a small blessing prayer to which she claims left a smell of roses in the flat for some weeks.In the meantime my brother who has had a curious interest in the supernatural had a chat with me about the situation after I"d informed him of the goings on, and he warned they'd be more to come as he had read it seemed to indicate from her experiences that it was feeding or charging itself up and the next phase would be visual.He also said it would be wise to check to see what had resided there before the flats were built, I did this at the local library and found a old photo taken from the church across towards the flats and a passage stating that a lean too shed had resided there which had been used by the 3 butchers in the town many many years before. Upon hearing my findings he said this was probably a cause for the disturbance and said he felt things could not get any better.We didn't have time to discuss our findings as my mother in law experienced another evening of vulgar language and being held down and this was the final straw she left the flat and never returned, she put it up for sale and as I previously said at the beginning as far as we know one young lady moved in and left very quickly and it's been vacant for approx 7-8 years!Anyhow thats a brief account of the incident in Guiseley.RegardsAL    

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

saracen67 wrote: My mother in law had a ground floor flat that was newly built in the centre of towngate in Guiseley. She had some very nasty goings on over the short period of time she lived there and we also heard the young lady who purchased it afterwards left only a few months after purchasing due to strange goings on. It has been empty for at least 8 years now.My mother in laws story started when she started experiencing cold and uneasy feelings of someone else in the flat, it all seemed to centre around the bedroom and over a few weeks she started to hear a voice that seemed to be made up of many voices but not coherent enough to make out what it was saying until one night while she was reading a book in bed it shouted out profanities. She was rather shaken with this and didn't tell the family until she experienced a night she will never forget when she went to turn the bedside light out and was suddenly grabbed and pinned to the bed unable to move.She later informed us she had asked the local vicar from the nearby church to come round and he obliged with a small blessing prayer to which she claims left a smell of roses in the flat for some weeks.In the meantime my brother who has had a curious interest in the supernatural had a chat with me about the situation after I"d and warned they'd be more to come as he had read it seemed to indicate from her experiences that it was feeding or charging itself up and the next phase would be visual.He also said it would be wise to check to see what had resided there before the flats were built, I did this at the local library and found a old photo taken from the church across towards the flats and a passage stating that a lean too shed had resided there which had been used by the 3 butchers in the town many many years before. Upon hearing my findings he said this was probably a cause the for the disturbance and said he felt things could not get any better.We didn't have time to discuss our findings as my mother in law experienced another evening of vulgar language and being held down and this was the final straw she left the flat and never returned, she put it up for sale and as I previously said at the beginning as far as we know one young lady moved in and left very quickly and it's been vacant for approx 7-8 years!Anyhow thats a brief account of the incident in Guiseley.RegardsAL Could you point the place out on Google Streetview? Maybe old maps will reveal something.

saracen67

Post by saracen67 »

[quoteCould you point the place out on Google Streetview? Maybe old maps will reveal something.Google map ref:53.875746,-1.707454Picture view is from the back of the flats, but if you view from the road it still has the for sale sign up (I know the pics aren't real time)

zodiac Angel

Post by zodiac Angel »

chameleon Thank you for your reply. I was new to this forum so i am sorry that i did not find this thread before. I just would like to say that i do respect others and their oppinions to do with the Paranormal. I would never force my beliefs on anyone. I do how ever expect the same in return from others. I am all for the live and let live Respect goes both ways, everyone is entitled to their oppinions, but not for rudeness A few places i have visited around Leeds were really great for investigating, i am always on the look out for a good place to investigate. Not every investigation i do has activity sometimes there is a logical explination. The leeds Abbey Inn was one that lived up to been One of the most haunted pubs in Leeds. Love hearing all your experiances From Zodiac x

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

There are also a few other threads in the ghosts and goblins section of the forums where you can find a lot of other accounts of Leeds hauntings which might be of interest.    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

saracen67 wrote: [quoteCould you point the place out on Google Streetview? Maybe old maps will reveal something. Google map ref:53.875746,-1.707454Picture view is from the back of the flats, but if you view from the road it still has the for sale sign up (I know the pics aren't real time) Looked at a few old maps and there appears to be a building on the site at a strange angle to the other buildings - no mention of what was though - wonder if any histories of Guiseley would reveal more - curious there is a funeral directors just near by.
Attachments
__TFMF_y5pzr345jxr2n345gyyhcvzn_da831ab1-dc61-4978-bdff-cdaed9606433_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_y5pzr345jxr2n345gyyhcvzn_da831ab1-dc61-4978-bdff-cdaed9606433_0_main.jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 13622 times

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

saracen67 wrote: [quoteCould you point the place out on Google Streetview? Maybe old maps will reveal something. Google map ref:53.875746,-1.707454Picture view is from the back of the flats, but if you view from the road it still has the for sale sign up (I know the pics aren't real time) Picture of the flat
Attachments
__TFMF_y5pzr345jxr2n345gyyhcvzn_7d1b6b1f-a791-4db0-83fe-ec937950e903_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_y5pzr345jxr2n345gyyhcvzn_7d1b6b1f-a791-4db0-83fe-ec937950e903_0_main.jpg (155.69 KiB) Viewed 13622 times

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Marshall Mills i've heard spook stories about from people who were working there, never really got specifics but seemed to involve seeing a figure in period dress.Have also heard it claimed that there is a ghostly butler hauting one of the Carneigie buildings at Beckett's Park campus, though i will say that i studies for two years up there without ever hearing anything about that at all, first hand or otherwise.Also reputedly a 'cold spot' in the West End, some people claim that is just the placement of the window!
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.