Sammy Ledgards buses

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

beast wrote: Had a pleasant afternoon yesterday at Pudsey Civic Centre.Samuel Ledgard society meeting. Had a couple of rides around Thornbury/Pudsey on an old Wigan corporation double decker and some other Lancastrian bus. Bought a model Leeds bus to go in my collection ,the old 77 Bramley Town End in the blue livery.Also got a couple of photos of my old bus route the 62 East End Park circular Glad you enjoyed the day beast - I too had a ride of the Wigan Corporation Leyland PD1 - my all time favourite model by the way - I passed my double deck test on a Ledgard one in 1961, and the next day did my first late turn on another of the same model.What a pity you weren't able to come from Horsfort to Otley and back with us on a return journey on the former Ledgard routes - this was operated with an AEC Regent of the type used by Ledgard's on these routes in the final days up to 1967. This bus was beautifully and professionally restored in Ledgard colours five years ago by the present owners - Time Line travel of St. Alban's - and I once again had the pleasant job of conducting it, with genuine Ledgard tickets and machine. There was an extremely good selection of beautifully restored vehicles of many makes in attendance and the weather was really kind to us.     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

simong

Post by simong »

My wife and I had a look around the event yesterday too and were there just as the Horsforth and Otley run was loading. If we hadn't had to be in Bradford we would have got on board. It was a great selection of buses and memorabilia.

pyramar

Post by pyramar »

Could someone help me with Sammy Ledgard bus routes. Am I right in assuming the full list was:Weston-Otley-NewallOtley-Shaw Estate-HorsforthOtley-White Cross-HorsforthBradford-Otley-HarrogateLeeds-Hawksworth Road-HorsforthLeeds-West Park-Horsforth-RawdonLeeds-Guiseley-IlkleyLeeds-Bramhope-Otley-IlkleyCalverley-Pudsey-Troydaleor were there others? Such as Arthington?Did the Calverley route have a separate spur to Acres Hall?

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Am I right in thinking there was a Sammy Ledgards garage of sorts somewhere at the bottom of Richardshaw Lane, Stanningley? I seem to remember boarding a Ledgards bus there when I was very small .....

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

pyramar wrote: Could someone help me with Sammy Ledgard bus routes. Am I right in assuming the full list was:Weston-Otley-NewallOtley-Shaw Estate-HorsforthOtley-White Cross-HorsforthBradford-Otley-HarrogateLeeds-Hawksworth Road-HorsforthLeeds-West Park-Horsforth-RawdonLeeds-Guiseley-IlkleyLeeds-Bramhope-Otley-IlkleyCalverley-Pudsey-Troydaleor were there others? Such as Arthington?Did the Calverley route have a separate spur to Acres Hall? One or two other features to mention pyramar :-The Newall service ran across the town, via Manor Square NOT bus station, to Westbourne Estate Bradford Road, NOT Weston. The Weston Estate service was separate entirely and ran from the bus station.The Calverley route did also serve Acres Hall.Other services were :-Leeds - Lower Wortley - Pudsey (two ways) - BradfordOtley - Pool - Arthington - Harewood - WetherbyIlkley - Toll Bridge - Middleton Sanatorium (later hospital)Otley - Stainburn - Rigton - BeckwithshawBradford - Lancashire - Blackpool Express daily.Otley - Burley WoodheadOtley - Pool - LeathleyIts a vast and complex subject over the years and there may be others I've just forgotten for now in a hurry. There were also huge contracts and Private hire and excursions of course.There were no Ledgard premises or services in Richardshaw Lane - those buildings were Farsley Omnibus Co, and Kitchens.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Patexpat wrote: Am I right in thinking there was a Sammy Ledgards garage of sorts somewhere at the bottom of Richardshaw Lane, Stanningley? I seem to remember boarding a Ledgards bus there when I was very small ..... No Patexpat - there were no Ledgard services or premises in Richardshaw Lane. The bus you remembered boarding will have been the red Farsley Omnibus (Pudsey to Horsforth). Also Kitchins depot was there for the Troydale - Pudsey - Calverley service (their buses were grey and red until bought out by Ledgard's (but the premises an coaches went to Wallace Arnold)

trophy

Post by trophy »

the kitchens garage on richardshaw lane was for coaches .the service bus garage was at the top of the marsh.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

trophy wrote: the kitchens garage on richardshaw lane was for coaches .the service bus garage was at the top of the marsh. Thanks trophy - I either didn't know, or I'd forgotten, about that.Wallace Arnold took all the coaches and RL garage, and Ledgard's took the four service buses and the Calverley - Troydale service.They were a fascinating quartet of vehicles.Two Guys, one front engined and one underfloor, which had both been demonstrators when new for Guy Motors.Two Atkinson underfloor engined 44 seaters with Burlingham bodies - Kitchins had them from new - and I worked on them all when they were at Ledgard's.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

BLAKEY wrote: trophy wrote: the kitchens garage on richardshaw lane was for coaches .the service bus garage was at the top of the marsh. Thanks trophy - I either didn't know, or I'd forgotten, about that.Wallace Arnold took all the coaches and RL garage, and Ledgard's took the four service buses and the Calverley - Troydale service.They were a fascinating quartet of vehicles.Two Guys, one front engined and one underfloor, which had both been demonstrators when new for Guy Motors.Two Atkinson underfloor engined 44 seaters with Burlingham bodies - Kitchins had them from new - and I worked on them all when they were at Ledgard's. You know some stuff there Blakey,all great to find out about.Nice when you can still find out about this subject from you and your fellow contributors.Thanks on behalf of other inquisitives.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

somme1916 wrote: [You know some stuff there Blakey,all great to find out about.Nice when you can still find out about this subject from you and your fellow contributors.Thanks on behalf of other inquisitives. Always a pleasure somme to keep the memory of these great Firms alive, and to answer any questions that interested folks may have.