Sammy Ledgards buses

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Hi BlakeyIsnt it good to have a bus driver amonst us laugh.Probably is the memory fading as I was only 10 Afterbeing on a bus for 4 and a half hours I could haveflown to Turkey nowadays. So maybe Beverley wasjust the name of a girl laugh.It was the cafe on the left hand side of the road I rememberpulling in to.Nothing much to do in those days on the bus. Especiallywith my younger sister being sick in the bucket for thebeach. I, now, feel like a trendy wendy with my MP3 player and all mygolden oldies playing. In fact, some of my journeys have been that long nowadays I have to have 2 MP3 players so they dont run out.As I now head for the beach I listen to On the Beach by Chris Rea, Sweet Child by Guns and Roses and manyhundreds more. Isnt life grand nowadays laugh.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Found a small photo of a Sammy Ledgards bus. My sister is looking through the back window before we set off to Castle Howard on a trip. I think it was about 1965 and a Bank Holiday Monday. Hope it comes through without being like a plazma screen size.
Attachments
__TFMF_zcrwsi45q3fymqa5djcfcv2a_a5927b53-25b9-4ce9-a577-cf97091fb9af_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zcrwsi45q3fymqa5djcfcv2a_a5927b53-25b9-4ce9-a577-cf97091fb9af_0_main.jpg (133.54 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: Found a small photo of a Sammy Ledgards bus. My sister is looking through the back window before we set off to Castle Howard on a trip. I think it was about 1965 and a Bank Holiday Monday. Hope it comes through without being like a plazma screen size. Thanks for that ArmleyLass - it has arrived plasma size but no worries. They were superb vehicles for smoothness and extreme comfort.     It is one of the eight "continental" Guy Arabs with luxury bodywork by Picktree Coachworks to the design of the original operator, Northern General of Durham, which Ledgard's "snapped up" in 1963 and they remained in service with the Company until the West Yorkshire takeover in October 1967.I can't post pictures on here for some obscure reason with this pesky equipment, or I'd put a front view to jog your memory further.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="BLAKEY"] pyramar wrote: Could someone help me with Sammy Ledgard bus routes. Am I right in assuming the full list was:Its a vast and complex subject over the years and there may be others I've just forgotten for now in a hurry. There were also huge contracts and Private hire and excursions of course. Two more items about SL routes just surfaced pyramar - one I'd forgotten about and another which I'd never heard of.There was an infrequent route from Horsforth Woodside to DEAN HEAD, via Scotland Lane. The terminus was by the derelict shop which still remains at the bottom of the road down from the Airport past the new motel. The service was apparently primarily for staff of the Springfield Nursing Home. Dates of inauguration and cessation (swallowed the dictionary again) not known at present.Another service started on 31st December 1927 from Pudesy Town Hall to The Marsh, via Roker Lane, Fulneck and Fartown. This ran half hourly all day and evening. We're not too sure yet, but we think that this may eventually have become part of Ledgard's trunk route from Leeds to Bradford, which ran half hourly right up to the end of the Firm in October 1967, becoming Leeds/Bradford Corporations 78 the following day.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Just as a matter of personal interest what's the general opinion on the correct pronunciation (if there is one) of LEDGARD?Down the years I've heard LED-GERD, LEGG-AD and LEDGE-ERD and there may be others too.Any of our bus correspondents have any views?JD    

barnie

Post by barnie »

[quotenick="BLAKEY"] BLAKEY wrote: pyramar wrote: Could someone help me with Sammy Ledgard bus routes. Am I right in assuming the full list was:Its a vast and complex subject over the years and there may be others I've just forgotten for now in a hurry. There were also huge contracts and Private hire and excursions of course. Two more items about SL routes just surfaced pyramar - one I'd forgotten about and another which I'd never heard of.There was an infrequent route from Horsforth Woodside to DEAN HEAD, via Scotland Lane. The terminus was by the derelict shop which still remains at the bottom of the road down from the Airport past the new motel. The service was apparently primarily for staff of the Springfield Nursing Home. Dates of inauguration and cessation (swallowed the dictionary again) not known at present.Another service started on 31st December 1927 from Pudesy Town Hall to The Marsh, via Roker Lane, Fulneck and Fartown. This ran half hourly all day and evening. We're not too sure yet, but we think that this may eventually have become part of Ledgard's trunk route from Leeds to Bradford, which ran half hourly right up to the end of the Firm in October 1967, becoming Leeds/Bradford Corporations 78 the following day. Where's the abandoned shop please Blakey? Perhaps this can be my new fascination now the Kirkstall Road one has gone.

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

We used to call it Leg-erds say it quickly and you can get the gist.I have of course, heard it the other ways. Being from Yorkshirewe tend to cut out letters in a word and we still know what it means.I love my Yorkshire. I didnt know I spoke two languages as a kid. It only dawned on me when I went abroad and they couldnt understand some of what I sed. Laugh
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jdbythesea wrote: Just as a matter of personal interest what's the general opinion on the correct pronunciation (if there is one) of LEDGARD?Down the years I've heard LED-GERD, LEGG-AD and LEDGE-ERD and there may be others too.Any of our bus correspondents have any views?JD     I know the few remaining members of the family and the correct pronunciation is just as its written - perhaps easier explained as LEDGE ARD but spoken without the middle "E" and without any pause or gap.    All the other popular pronunciations depend on dialect and locality - and i n case of any problem the universally familiar "SAMMY'S" will do nicely     

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I only knew it pronounced as Led gards (always I think with an 's') which is how I now say it. I wonder now though if the correct name is Ledgard, not Ledgards that I would use.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: I only knew it pronounced as Led gards (always I think with an 's') which is how I now say it. I wonder now though if the correct name is Ledgard, not Ledgards that I would use. Quite simply depends on whether or not any possession is being indicated in what you are saying Leodian e.g. :-                Mr. Samuel LEDGARD or the LEDGARD BUS COMPANY                or to describe possession of the vehicles                                    LEDGARD'S BUSES