vicar lane bus station

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

Re: vicar lane bus station

Post by BLAKEY »

buffaloskinner wrote:The old West Riding bus station on Vicar Lane was a dump inside, I only had the pleasure of eating in there a few times but it was worse than Torre Road garage. It really needs a lot of refurbishment or demolishing.
With respect buffaloskinner, it was the West Yorkshire bus station, not West Riding - it was virtually doubled in size (the upward sloping section being added) in the early 1950s after excavating what had been a raised area until then used for bus parking. West RIDING did have a bus station in York Street just for their Rothwell and Wakefield/Kettlethorpe services when these were "evicted" from the tram turning circle at the Corn Exchange.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Did the buses to Scarborough go from that Station on Vicar Lane ? I seem to remember as kids we seemed to queue for hours waiting with only the tantalising smell of toffee from the Thornton's factory nearby.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

volvojack wrote:Did the buses to Scarborough go from that Station on Vicar Lane ? I seem to remember as kids we seemed to queue for hours waiting with only the tantalising smell of toffee from the Thornton's factory nearby.
They did indeed volvojack, service 43 and also to Bridlington 44/45 and Hull 46 - the latter two services jointly with East Yorkshire.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Blakey my mistake, but I knew what I mean't ;)
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

buffaloskinner wrote:Blakey my mistake, but I knew what I mean't ;)
I know you did buffaloskinner :D :D I wasn't being pedantic but merely ventured the correction for those members not familiar with all the changes of recent decades :) :)

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Just found this on flickr.It might be of interest https://www.flickr.com/photos/73401411@ ... 5062022564

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:Just found this on flickr.It might be of interest https://www.flickr.com/photos/73401411@ ... 5062022564
Thanks for that link hyperioncantlogin :).

The model buses and the West Yorkshire Bus Station are excellent. There is some extremely tight parking of the buses! ;)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:Just found this on flickr.It might be of interest https://www.flickr.com/photos/73401411@ ... 5062022564
Thank you so much for this link - the breathtaking pictures of these fine lifelike models bring back to me so many happy memories of working with Samuel Ledgard, West Yorkshire and LCT , and travelling extensively on East Yorkshire, - times that I wouldn't have missed at any price and never a day goes by, even now at nearly eighty, when I don't enjoy "drifting back in time" with a warm glow and priceless recollections.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I enjoyed seeing these model bus dioramas. The West Yorkshire bus station on Vicar Lane brings back pleasant memories because we were usually going somewhere out of the ordinary from there. The model of the back of the old LCT bus garage at Bramley brings back different memories because I used to catch my school bus outside the garage every morning in winter. In summer I walked and spent the fare on sweets.
If I remember rightly the West Yorks bus terminus at Scarborough was a similar style of building to the one in Leeds. Can anyone else confirm my recollection?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

blackprince wrote:
If I remember rightly the West Yorks bus terminus at Scarborough was a similar style of building to the one in Leeds. Can anyone else confirm my recollection?
I'm not sure exactly where it was in Scarborough (although it was very near the town centre) but it was called Northway bus station and was, I think, of a similar vintage to Vicar Lane. Wallace Arnold also had a small coach station and depot in Columbus Ravine.