vicar lane bus station

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

Re: vicar lane bus station

Post by Leodian »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:Hi leo
I also read this article on there website,the steeped in history built in 1936 made me wonder what history is that.The site itself is steeped in history but not one we should celebrate.http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Leeds/
Thanks hyperioncantlogin for that link :). It's fascinating reading.

I notice that in the foods under the "workhouse dietary in October 1726" that as well as milk porridge it also mentions water porridge with treacle. That was one way how my mum used to make it when I was a kid and only later was it made with water and milk (if I recall right another way was simply porridge+water+salt). It was always hard to clean the pan afterwards! Nowadays life is easier as I make it in a bowl in a microwave and use treacle flavoured instant porridge made with milk. There's also little bother washing the bowl!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Just seen position of north bar http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Leeds/

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:Just seen position of north bar http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Leeds/

The north bar stone had been concealed for many years, in 1995 the site was converted into an amusement arcade.
I contacted the designers and suggested they could expose the stone as it was a historically important, their response was that it would 'spoil' their design. The design had been given planning approval but the planing officer was reluctant to get involved.
I monitored the building work 24/7, but did not see the stone when the area was exposed, I wondered if it may have been removed during previous building works?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

North Bar Stone Uncovered https://thinkwhere.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... uncovered/
North-Bar- Uncovered.jpg
North-Bar- Uncovered.jpg (1015.89 KiB) Viewed 3951 times

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

uncle mick wrote:North Bar Stone Uncovered https://thinkwhere.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... uncovered/
North-Bar- Uncovered.jpg
thanks 'uncle mick'
I have not been on Vicar Lane for 12+ years, but we will set off straight after breakfast to get the photo.
My wife thinks we are going to Leeds to see the grand kids :D :D

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Sorry what i was trying to say was "just seen north bar on the workhouse map ".And to me it seems to be in a completely different place from its present location .

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The 'Burley Bar Stone - and the rest' thread in Secret Leeds has information (particularly currently on pages 29 to 31) about the North Bar Stone, which was exposed on July 23 2014. This is the link to the thread:- http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2662

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The old West Riding bus station on Vicar Lane was a dump inside, I only had the pleasure of eating in there a few times but it was worse than Torre Road garage. It really needs a lot of refurbishment or demolishing.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Leodian wrote:The following is a short extract from an interesting article on pages 16 and 17 in the YEP today (Feb 12 2016) in its City Buzz section:-

“The Old Red Bus Station on Vicar Lane is set to become a new multi-purpose venue for art, music, food and drink. The building – whilst not the most photogenic – is steeped in history. It opened back in 1936 and was an important transport hub for decades until it finally closed in 1994 when the new Leeds city bus station was launched. It’s also home to the North Bar stone – a post Medieval carved stone marking one of the north entrances to the city. Champion Up North are taking over the venue in the city’s Northern Quarter on a five-year lease...It will open on February 22 with an exhibition by Leeds College of Art called ‘GIDE’, which runs until February 24...The sad news is the building could get demolished in five years, as there are plans to turn it into a car park for the nearby Victoria Gate site”.

The article has a good photo labelled ‘West Yorkshire Bus Station in 1959’ that shows buses which (apart from a tall chimney on a building beyond) still looks much the same (with no buses of course!). It’s good to see that the YEP knows that the North Bar stone is there, though I think “one of the north entrances to the city” may be wrong unless there were more at one time! Can a bus station be “launched”?
The North Bar stone was more to mark the boundary of the northern limits of the township rather than entrances I think. There were a number of ways into Leeds from the north, not least Vicar Lane and Albion Street as they are now. Given Leeds was never a walled city there were no formal entrances as such.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that clarification LS1 :). I had taken it from the article that there were bar stones at other north entrances but I realise now that was probably not what the article was inferring.