Nuclear train?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Wasn't sure where to post this really, so I'll put it here! Has anyone else heard the account, that every week, on a certain day, in the early hours, a very long train carrying nuclear waste passes through Leeds on the Bradford line (past the prison)? I have heard this a few times, going back a few years now. I used to know the day and time and believe I actually saw it once, as I was coming round the gyratory. It was definately no ordinary train, or the concrete one that comes through. Wednesdays at 3 or 4am rings a bell, but I'm not 100% sure? Recollections fade the older I get!!!

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

hi Leeds Lass,going to move this thread to the Transport forum - the train and tram buffs will no doubt have something to contribute on this one!cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

For my sins Leeds Lass, i once had a spell living over the border in bradford. My neighbour told me about the nuclear waste train that passed through shipley in the early hours on certain nights. I think was was some discussion in ther bradford T&A in the 80`s about it, i remember thinking, what if it derails!!!...i betya thats the same train you mentioned.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I seem to recall there was a 'Shock horror' story in the Y.E.P when it first became knowledge these trains were running. It does seem a long time ago tho! Here's the infamous nuclear flask train crash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB32dS6wDNE It doesn't really answer your question Leeds lass but it's certainly entertaining viewing. Albiet the waste of a good class 46 engine.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Carol Vorderman gets everywhere!!! Yes Phill, I remember seeing that video somewhere. I think it's quite spooky myself!

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

It probably was Loinerpete, it would be the same line, which passes through Pudsey, then to Bradford and probably Shipley, Keighley.

saabinn

Post by saabinn »

It was certainly not "a very long train" as it only had one or two wagons on. It started running in the 60's and ran until the late 80's or early 90's I think, it was a regular but not frequent train, and would run once or twice a month. It came from the South through Normanton round the Whitehall curve and then North through Shipley. It was once derailed at Holbeck but other than that it always passed without incident. Rail always was and still is the safest and best means of transporting hazardous materials.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The nuclear trains still run although I don't know if they still run through Leeds, and if you know where to look it can be surprisingly easy to find out timings and such (or it was - it might have got a bit harder in the current political climate).If I remember correctly it's low(ish) grade waste going for reprocessing after use at the nuclear power stations.Check any of the many railway forums on the 'net and you'll be able to find out more. (uk.railway is probably a good place to start)As has been said it's probably the safest way to move it. It's certainly a damn sight safer than filling a dozen trucks with the stuff!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell