newlay train station

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

suppose its where you come from, ive allways lived in leeds, and allways said train station.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I've always called it the train station too
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

bramley13 wrote: suppose its where you come from, ive allways lived in leeds, and allways said train station. Even so I think it is something recent. We always said "railway station" but I suppose "train station" is just as correct - you say "bus station" so what's the difference? it's the place where trains are stationary.
Industria Omnia Vincit

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Trojan wrote: bramley13 wrote: suppose its where you come from, ive allways lived in leeds, and allways said train station. Even so I think it is something recent. We always said "railway station" but I suppose "train station" is just as correct - you say "bus station" so what's the difference? it's the place where trains are stationary. Thanks bramley13, Phill d and Trojan . Having read those posts I suspect it might be a generational thing , a more recent change of use as Trojan wrote . I was born in the 1940s , perhaps that makes a difference .I take Trojan's point about the term " bus station " but so far as I know people have always said " bus station " and equally for that matter " coach station " as in Wellington Street Coach Station . The term used to describe the place where buses and coaches remain stationary ( as opposed to stopping at bus " stops " ) has never changed .Interesting that in the United States the word " coach " is not used to describe a long-distance bus as in the UK . The word derives presumably from the horse-drawn stage-coach used in both countries and many others .    
roundhegian