A view from under the New York Road flyover.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

A view from under the New York Road flyover.

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo that I took on October 9 2018 from Eastgate under the New York Road flyover.
Towards the left is the start of the road tunnel that soon comes out by Burmantofts Street (what I still call the Woodpecker junction area). To the right in the photo is a blocked off area about which I wonder what lies behind? On the right (coming away from Leeds) near the Burmantofts Street end there is another blocked off area that looks as if anything behind it could connect to the blocked off part in the Eastgate end so I wonder if there was ever a plan to build a road there coming into the centre of Leeds (perhaps there is one but it has never been put into public use?). I hope this all makes sense as I'm not sure it does!
UnderNewYorkRoadFlyoverFromEastgateLeedsOct092018..jpg
UnderNewYorkRoadFlyoverFromEastgateLeedsOct092018..jpg (157.07 KiB) Viewed 8303 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Re: A view from under the New York Road flyover.

Post by tyke bhoy »

You have me confused Leodian (easily done ;-) ) so you may or may not know this and apologies if its not what you mean. The area to the right of your photo, behind the blue barriers, is the end of a slip road coming off the A64. Not much traffic from the A64 will direcly emerge here as the slip road is also the entrance (and exit) to car parks for "the Kremlin" and Playhouse. I would imagine most traffic wanting to head south from the A64 would have exited at the Woodpecker junction ffor Marsh Lane. I believe the Playhouse has forgone some/all of its car park for the Leeds City College building whch iis predoinantly on what was a green mound
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi tyke bhoy :). Thanks for your help, particularly as even I was confused in asking what I was trying to find out! :?

There follows a link to a Google Street View that may aid anyone helping my query https://tinyurl.com/ybmknjfd. This shows a blocked off 'wall' on the left, by where the tunnel comes out at the Burmantofts Street/Marsh Lane junction. I wonder if behind the 'wall' there is/was a road that runs parallel to the tunnel to the blocked off area at the Eastgate end? If so might it have once been a road planned to be used but which was never done? I'm not sure even this is any less confusing :oops:

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks for the clarification. You may well be correct on your original hypothesis. My recollection is that the westbound A64 terminated at the Woodpecker junction into the 90s. You then joined the Inner Ring Road across the junction. East bound there was always the flyover and the road underneath from Regents Street to Burmantofts Street. * Bearing in mind the A64 was officially Motorway after the Woodpecker junction presumably there was an intention to provide non motorway access between Burmantofts Street and Eastgate. Initially mirroring the reverse direction i.e. under the flyover but the Kremlin/Playhouse development intervened and the slip road went to the side instead.

*This is where supposition starts, before there I'M pretty certain.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I think the blocked off wall, is simply the abutment supporting the western span of the flyover.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tyke bhoy refers to the D.H.S.S. building at the junction as the Kremlin. As i had left Leeds when this Montosity was built i would like to know just what purpose it serves. it seems to be badly designed with the sides serving no purpose looking at it when coming down York Road. what is it used for now.

jma

Post by jma »

A few years ago when they were doing long-term repairs under this flyover, quite a large bit was closed off. If you were driving eastbound and came off to Jimmy's the sliproad took you under here and the signs said Perygl cadwch allan which I believe is Welsh for "Danger. Keep out."

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

warringtonrhino wrote:I think the blocked off wall, is simply the abutment supporting the western span of the flyover.
Thanks warringtonrhino for that interesting suggestion.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Jack, the Kremlin a.k.a. Quarry House is still effectvely the DHSS as it is now NHS and Departments of Health and Work & Pensions

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks tyke bhoy for the info. regarding the "Kremlin" I still don't understand why offices and buildings like this are not built farther away from the city centre rather than on prime land.

Als am extremely relieved that the site is back to normal. I really spit the dummy out yesterday.