Tram lines exposed on Marsh Lane

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Richburnley

Tram lines exposed on Marsh Lane

Post by Richburnley »

Just past St Annes Centre on Marsh Lane where there are some road repairs, more tram line has been exposed.

Richburnley

Re: Tram lines exposed on Marsh Lane

Post by Richburnley »

I'm trying to upload a picture albeit a very poor one (just to evidence it) as I was in a moving vehicle, but its saying file too large. Its only one picture. Am I doing something wrong?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Richburnley"]I'm trying to upload a picture albeit a very poor one (just to evidence it) as I was in a moving vehicle, but its saying file too large. Its only one picture. Am I doing something wrong

Only if you were the Driver of the moving vehicle at the time Rich.
Actually i would be very pleased to see this

jma

Post by jma »

Richburnley wrote:I'm trying to upload a picture albeit a very poor one (just to evidence it) as I was in a moving vehicle, but its saying file too large. Its only one picture. Am I doing something wrong?
You need to reduce the file size of your picture. If you have Windows, one of the included programmes should be Paint. If you open your file in Paint, one of the options is to "resize." Select the percentage option and try 50% for starters and try to download to your post. If it works, you will get a green tick. If it doesn't reduce it again. A bit of a faff, I know. There are specific file sizes which are OK but I don't know what they are so I just reduce the size of the file by trial and error.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Does anyone know what year the Coop Funeral Building on Marsh Lane was built. I remember going to a Reception meal there after a relative's funeral. I was still at School but do remember the room was cold and so was the meal

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Rich :).

Thanks to your initial post and as I was close by the area on November 7 it was only a short diversion to have a look. I took 3 photos in the few minutes I was there. I wonder if you have managed to reduce the file size of the photo that you took? Unless you do not mind me doing so It would not be right of me to post mine before you post the one you took.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Marsh Lane holds many memories for me. My Brother and i on our way to School around the mid 1940s quite often used to get of off the Tram at the Junction with York St. go through the tunnel under the Railway line and into the Richmond Hill area. The Bank was being demolished but there were still lots of derelict buildings to explore and also there were still businesses/ workshops operating. At the M/ Lane Junction with York Street there was a scrap yard and i remember there was this old open motor with a dummy couple sitting up front. she had a fur type stole around her and a very old type hat.these were on plain view. At the side of the tunnel there was the Fyffes Banana Warehouse obviously had not been open for a long time but on the blue wooden doors there was this large Banana and how i did long for one of those. At the bottom of Marsh Lane was the Smiths Arms pub which at onetime my uncle Bill Leach was the Landlord. he had lost both legs due to some illness which i just can't recall but my Mother did tell me that he could manage to come downstairs and sit at the Bar.
Years later that pub became quite a regular haunt of mine.
Must not forget that in the School days selling flags in the Kirkgate Market for Childrens Day, Roundhay Park we would get 6d. for each 100 sold and i would take my tanner and spend it in the Working mans cafe which was on a Parade of Shops next to the Smiths. A pint pot of tea and two Bacon sandwiches (Train stoppers my Dad called
them) took the 6d. Yes, Very many happy memories of Marsh Lane.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack i remember that scrap yard it was still there when we moved to Saxton Gardens from Hunslet in the late fiftys the car was above the entrance on a girder.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Autowrex Marsh Lane
Autowrex.jpg
Autowrex.jpg (153.88 KiB) Viewed 5896 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for that uncle mick that is the place must have replaced the car over the years its not the one i remember.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.