Bus extravaganza 2015 Leeds?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
blackprince

Re: Bus extravaganza 2015 Leeds?

Post by blackprince »

Thanks Tabbycat. I am sure you are right. I have had a look on Google Earth and there still is a South Shore holiday camp, much expanded, and with a carpark for speedboats and jetskis. I made do with a bucket and spade and woolly swimming trunks which weighed a ton when they got wet.
I remember the bats because my mother and aunts were scared of them and I had never seen them before.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:idea:
Attachments
South Shore Holiday Camp.JPG
South Shore Holiday Camp.JPG (140.75 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Can't quite remember the date but i took my Wife, two kids and the Mother in Law over there for a week, when we arrived it was raining and just before i hot footed it back to Leeds i assured them it would probably clear up by the following morning. after a few days she rang and said It's still raining and the children are getting bored. Again i persuaded her to hang on as it surely must get better. Towards the end of the week she rang again and said "Everywhere is nearly under water, come and get us NOW" When i arrived there it was still pouring down and as the family trudged back to the car if looks could kill i would not have made it home.

jma

Post by jma »

blackprince wrote: ... You have a good memory for detail jma. I think the entire population of Leeds must have decamped to Brid and Scarboro' for summer hols in those days
Like you I had a childhood holiday in a "caravan park" south of Brid in the early 50's. I remember it was at the terminus of the bus service from Brid and then there was a walk along a cliff top path, maybe about 1/4 mile.
The path was unlit at night and there were loads of bats flying around. The "caravan" park was like an old army camp with wooden huts raised on brick columns. There was a small grass area where children & dads played cricket and one chap seemed to spend the whole holiday fixing punctured inner tubes of his old car. Happy dayz!
Grandma Clarke + Michael at Sewerby Easter 1946Michael at S.jpg
Grandma Clarke + Michael at Sewerby Easter 1946Michael at S.jpg (205.07 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Here's me as very small child sitting on my great grandmother's knee at Charity Farm, Sewerby in 1946. Some of the huts are in the background. I remember that one year there were plans to modernise it all so that only caravans would be allowed. As a child, I couldn't understand the logic that only accommodation on wheels could stay. Anything that couldn't move had to be moved off.

We used to walk along the cliff-top footpath into Brid and I remember the skylarks, poppies and the smell of cabbages when they had been recently cut. My dad didn't like the path along the cliffs: he used to say it gave him the willies if we went near the edge, so when he was with us we usually went by bus, and I got worried about the level crossing. We went nearly every year, sometimes with just my nana and great grandmother. The last time was Easter 1954.

More recently, in 1983 with a family of my own during a holiday near Hornsea, we went to Flamboro Head on a very foggy day. It's something like 90 seconds between blasts on the foghorn and you can walk quite some distance between blasts. It sounded when we were between the lighthouse and the cliff edge. Our younger son panicked and ran staight towards the edge. At the last second he swerved to safety but he was so frightened he had no idea what he was doing. To say he gave me the willies would be an understatement.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Thanks for posting the evocative photos BS & jma. The aerial view of the South Shore camp is exactly how I remember the layout and the view of the huts in the background of jma's photo is pretty much the type of "chalet" I recall, complete with the brick columns.
I also used to be amused by the notion of a "static caravan".
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!