What just flew over West Leeds?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
shutthatdoor

What just flew over West Leeds?

Post by shutthatdoor »

A very odd looking plane flew over West Leeds (and no doubt other bits of Leeds). It looked and sounded like something out of Buck Rogers. This was just after six pm or thereabouts.
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

blackprince

Re: What just flew over West Leeds?

Post by blackprince »

Can you describe it in a bit more detail.
Military or civil? How many engines? Wing shape etc?
'Tis the time of year for Airshows could it have been a foreign visitor?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

It was hard to tell. It was slim and silverish with small fins on the front nose. It also had a circular looking structure on the forward fuselage. It had a high pitched engine sound which is the thing that alerted me to it in the first place.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

shutthatdoor wrote:It was hard to tell. It was slim and silverish with small fins on the front nose. It also had a circular looking structure on the forward fuselage. It had a high pitched engine sound which is the thing that alerted me to it in the first place.
Hmmm.. There are not too many aircraft with fins at the front - Canard Wings .
Do you think it could have been a Piaggio P180 Avanti ?
https://www.wired.com/2010/08/piaggio-p ... -airplane/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_P.180_Avanti

Here is a description of the engine noise
[The Avanti noise IS terrible. Like a circular saw on steroids....a very annoying noise, not necessarily loud but very distinctive...

This is due to the pusher propellers and turbine engines.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Minda

Post by Minda »

I think I saw this too! It made such a weird sound I came out of the house to see what it was. I only saw the back if it as it vanished but it seemed small and low flying.

Minda

Post by Minda »

Yeah. What I saw could easily have been what's in the link you've posted.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Here's a bit of wild speculation. I see from the link posted above by blackprince that this type of aircraft is used by the Ferrari F1 team. On Thursday afternoon, some motoring enthusiast wrote off a Ferrari he'd taken delivery of just an hour previously, on the M1 at Barnsley. Could it be that Ferrari has an accident investigation team that also travels the world in the same type of aircraft?
The older I get, the better I was.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Sounds very likely, though I would use the word idiot, rather than enthusiast.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I am with you on this one chemimike Ferrari plus M1= idiot i hope the driver was ok.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

The links by blackprince suggest that this is possibly what I saw. It was a few seconds glimpse and the shape does seem the fit, The Circular Structure I saw was probably the engines, you know how your mind make impressions and has to work the details out later.
Thanks to everyone for your contributions, I didn't know that about Ferrari. If I hear it again I'll grab my camera. Cheers!