MYSTERY PLANE OVER HEADINGLEY

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

MYSTERY PLANE OVER HEADINGLEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Around 1030 this morning (Thursday 14th April) a pretty large plane flew over, presumably heading for LBA, and must I think have been military. It had four large and delightfully loud piston engines, fairly widely spaced on the wings, and was an impressive sight :) :) Due to its unusual approach route I could only see the darkish underside so have no idea what livery it wore.
Any clues anyone please :?: :?:
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Wanderer

Re: MYSTERY PLANE OVER HEADINGLEY

Post by Wanderer »

Hercules?

tomq

Post by tomq »

Not with piston engines.
Tom

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

tomq wrote:Not with piston engines.
The most common type of engine on large aircraft is a turbojet, which do not have propellers.
Turboprops have propellers and are often confused with piston engines because the prop blades cutting through the air can make a similar sound to a piston engine. The Lockheed C130 Hercules, has four turboprop engines.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I only had a view of the underside of the plane for a few seconds as it passed over the flats, and I'm not an expert in aircraft recognition at all. I suppose it could have been a turboprop machine although I thought it sounded "heavy piston like", and I just feel pretty sure that its wings were underneath (Lancaster style) but I could also be wrong altogether about that.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

A good place for tracking flight movements is http://www.flightradar24.com which has historic as well as live flights. There's a few possibilities but I think it's likely to be flight AF1058 from CDG to Newcastle which passed over north Leeds at around 10.30 and went near LBA but didn't land there. It's a BAe Avro RJ70. More details and photos at http://www.jetphotos.net/aircraft/BAE146RJ-E2345

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Thanks a lot mhoulden - yes I'm sure you're spot on there - the third picture (sunset) in the series of photos is exactly how I saw the plane, hence my impression that it was in a dark livery, just a trick of the light on a dullish morning. A most impressive aircraft, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen, or noticed, one ever before. Now a confession - as one too petrified of planes to even think of going in one again (RAF last time in 1955 or so without the option) I do like to see them and, living only a couple of miles from LBA, I very often park on the nearby hillsides to watch the comings and goings. A friend once quite seriously accused me of being a ghoul just waiting to see a crash - I was actually very annoyed indeed, and said so, as nothing could be further from the truth !!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Just my tuppence worth but I thought the RJ70 was quiet and small. It doesn't sound like a piston or turboprop, just a sort of subdued howl. I'm right under the flight path.