Exposed Tramlines

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
hyperion

Exposed Tramlines

Post by hyperion »

Just drove up Abbey Road at the junction of Harksworth Road,there's roadworks going on that have exposed old tramlines.Well somepeople get very nostalgic about tram's and associated hardware, and may want to document this .
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

BLAKEY

Re: Exposed Tramlines

Post by BLAKEY »

Yes indeed hyperion, and I'm one of those who remember the tram system so very well. I wonder how many younger viewers of this site remember that the Leeds trams at one time went to Guiseley White Cross where the old depot still exists, and on the Leeds side gable end the lettering "LEEDS CITY TRAMWAYS" remains large in the stonework. Also from there Leeds City Transport trolleybuses (trackless trams as they were then known) ran to Burley in Wharfedale and Otley (two separate routes) between 1915 and 1928.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

francof

Post by francof »

I for one do not remember the tram system. Therefore this thread holds no interest for me.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

For "Blakey" and other interested parties.
Attachments
Tram Depot1.jpg
Tram Depot1.jpg (249.2 KiB) Viewed 4365 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Thanks very much indeed Brunel - that's a really great picture of the famous lettering which is not too easy to see when you are driving past - excellent. :) :)
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I have fond memories of travelling on Leeds trams as a youngster and am still interested in them. Its interesting to know that some of the old track is still buried under modern roads and is unearthed from time to time.
Does anyone know how Leeds trams changed track at junctions? There were some quite complicated junctions in the track work. There must have been points but I don't remember seeing any moveable points and I don't remember the crew having to get out and change points with a lever when they needed to change to a diverging track.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jim

Post by jim »

There were indeed points - rather a lot of them. Some were changed by using a type of crowbar known as a point iron. Others were worked by an automatic device, which I believe was worked by a section of the overhead wiring which responded according to whether the tram passed under it with power on or with power off. In one case the point remained as it was, and in the other the point changed before the tram reached it. I think I have this right, but am open to correction by the more knowledgeable.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Thanks for that explanation Jim. I must have walked & cycled across Leeds tram tracks in the road many times as a lad but never recall seeing how the points worked.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Many trams went from terminus to terminus not needing anything mechanical to return meaning, one might go to Roundhay Park from Dewsbury Road and at the end of the track was a short length of single line connected to the opposite track. the driver simply went on to the short track and changed ends then drove his vehicle back over. this was usually followed by the conductor being joined by the driver where they sat at the front for a smoke and a chat.
At the Gipton terminus (Wkebeck Valley Road) my brother and I used to sneak around to the opposite end and on the side of the tram entrance was a wooden box that held all the discarded tram tickets. there was a brass button underneath which when pressed opened he box and we would plunder all the tickets. in the absence of cigarette cards these were prized and playing in the school yard at playtime they came in very handy.
I remember there was extra track like a siding on Dewsbury Rd. where the "Cross Flatts Only" tram used to pull in and let the other trams go by up to and past Tommy Wass's pub to the terminus

Happy Days (not always).

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

This was a tramway junction on Roundhay road I walked across many times going to the Clock Cinema or to catch a tram to Roundhay Park. There had to be points, which could be changed by the driver, selecting power or coasting (as described by Jim above), but there is very little visible sign of any points in the track.
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL