Does anyone please know what this railway equipment was?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

Does anyone please know what this railway equipment was?

Post by Leodian »

I would be grateful if anyone can please let me know what this piece of presumed railway equipment was used for? :)

I took these photos on May 13 2015 when I spotted the object by the side of the footpath leading to Bardsey that occupies what was the Thorner to Wetherby railway. The metal object is about 2 feet tall and was at a short way along the path from the still intact bridge that is over a footpath from Scarcroft. I don't know if the object is where it used to be or if it has simply been placed there at some stage. I don't even know if it is meant to be upright and how much may be below the ground level. Any suggestions please as to what it was or might have been.
Attachments
024R.jpg
024R.jpg (223.27 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
025R.jpg
025R.jpg (215.4 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Re: Does anyone please know what this railway equipment was?

Post by warringtonrhino »

Leodian wrote:I would be grateful if anyone can please let me know what this piece of presumed railway equipment was used for? :)

I took these photos on May 13 2015 when I spotted the object by the side of the footpath leading to Bardsey that occupies what was the Thorner to Wetherby railway. The metal object is about 2 feet tall and was at a short way along the path from the still intact bridge that is over a footpath from Scarcroft. I don't know if the object is where it used to be or if it has simply been placed there at some stage. I don't even know if it is meant to be upright and how much may be below the ground level. Any suggestions please as to what it was or might have been.
It is a ratchet cable tensioner
the lower end was fixed securely to the ground, a cable was threaded through the hole at the top and wrapped around the ratchet.
A lever tool was used to turn the ratchet, which tensioned the cable.
They were often used as a guy line tensioners for corner fence posts, telegraph poles etc.
Near railways there were various structures that required guy lines, or it could just be a fence post tensioner
To do its job properly, the tensioner had to be very securely fixed at the ground, which is probably why it is the only bit to survive

jim

Post by jim »

Another possibility to add to warringtonrhino's suggestions is that it was for a guy wire to keep a signal post or gantry anchored.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks warringtonrhino and jim for your help :).

I first came across the footway that follows the old railway at least 25 years back (likely more) and though there were not many bits of features left then there were a few (particularly lots of those coal pieces that seemed like they could have been moulded from coal dust!). Over time things have either been overgrown or possibly 'collected'. Even much of the nearby old mill was still standing then or at least features of it could be made out such as where a wheel would have turned, but the remains of the mill have long collapsed and the site is now very overgrown.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.