Parlington's Flyline

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
harrym1byt

Parlington's Flyline

Post by harrym1byt »

Hi to All,

Since before Christmas, I have been on a bit of a mission, trying to pull together a bit of a pet project of mine. The project is one of adding some information panels to what is known as the Garforth to Aberford Flyline. Three different panels in fact, one at either end plus one in the middle, each describing the line generally, but with emphasis on the particular section of the line where each panel is located.

I have so far made contact with the Garforth and the Barwick historical societies and Brian Hull. Brian has been very helpful and happens to be the Parlington Estate's unofficial historian, he also has good contact with the present owners of the estate. I'm in a situation at the moment where everyone is agreeing this would be an absolutely brilliant idea, but little sign of any practical progress or funding. So what it needs is someone better able to push it - I at least would welcome some help to get things moving a little faster. If and when it comes to fruition, it will maybe need a team to help install them.

For those who perhaps have never heard of the Flyline, it was one of the very early lines with an absolutely fascinating history and an equally fascinating history to the estate and its owners. It used to run from the Leeds to Selby line at Garforth station, through the Gascoigne's Parlington Estate, to Aberford. Its main purpose was the transport of coal from the Gascoigne's various pits along the route, to Aberford. Garforth was the higher point thus it was a gravity run down to Aberford. For the slight uphill journey it was horse drawn, with the horse getting to ride from Garforth to Aberford. Aside from the coal, it provided passenger transport, with passengers often being called upon to help push on the steeper grades. Later in the lines life, it acquired a steam engine(s) to replace the horse.

The line is long since gone, leaving just a very pleasant 3.5 miles country walk through the Parlington Estate, with a mass of interesting and amusing history either side of the route of the line. Except most of those walking the route, will not have much idea of the history, unless they have read up on it. This projects aims to go some way towards trying to solve that.

A good source of information about the line, the mines and the general history is a long out of print book by Graham S Hudson, called ' The Aberford Railway and the History of the Garforth Collieries'

If you think you might be able to help in some way, please do get in touch.

Brunel

Re: Parlington's Flyline

Post by Brunel »

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

The green/white one going bottom to top in the map, YES!

It is much longer than the small section shown in that map.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

You can "drag" the map in all directions and follow the path.

Right Click on mouse.

Also a larger map is available: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=4 ... Z=115&lm=1

Or Open Street Map the path is marked as "The Fly Line" http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/53 ... 0&layers=C

parlington

Post by parlington »

Just to keep people up to date, I have had a response from the Parlington Estate managers and they are impressed with the idea of creating notice boards about the history of the Flyline. However these things move slowly, presently the proposition is being put to the Parish Council. I await news and will report here allg with other sources when I am in a alonetion to do so!

parlington

Post by parlington »

I have requested people add their interest in the proposition of adding notice boards to the route of the flyline on my Facebook page which relates to Parlington, here: https://www.facebook.com/parlingtonhistory

It would be helpful for interested parties to add their weight to this idea, please like the page on Facebook and it will benefit the proposal.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Sorry Brian, I wasn't aware there was already a Parlington thread running!

Hearing nothing from you recently, I was under the impression my idea was lacking in sufficient merit. I don't really like to get involved with FB, but I have struggled to get in and give it a 'like'.

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Nice photo of the Light Arch.

Is there any progress with the information boards idea?

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Croggy1 wrote:Nice photo of the Light Arch.

Is there any progress with the information boards idea?
I originated the idea and all I know is that everyone is in agreement that the boards would be very useful and that the present owners of the estate, Prudential are agreeable to the idea too, but no progress beyond that. Perhaps 'parlington' could say more?