Cycling...a missed opportunity?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
raveydavey

Cycling...a missed opportunity?

Post by raveydavey »

With the Cycle Superhighway starting in East Leeds, I can't help but think that a golden opportunity is at danger of slipping away from us.

With a little joined up thinking, the scheme could be easily and perhaps more importantly cheaply be linked into National Cycle Network Route 66, connecting out to Garforth, Aberford, Wetherby and beyond. Not only would this provide great connectivity but it would provide a fantastic leisure resource for this side of Leeds, using largely existing byways and bridleways most of which are traffic free.

Simply cycle down Manston Lane and you have a choice of routes, through pleasant countryside and with options to avoid excessive inclines if you choose.

I'm out on these bike friendly routes most weekends and will often only see a handful of cyclists, so the potential to make more of these assets is fantastic. I'll bet this is because most people don't even know they exist.

And that before we get onto the shelved plans to convert the former Cross Gates - Wetherby railway line to a cycle route...

Or is it too much to expect from a council who want to tarmac over everything out to the A1..?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

WiggyDiggy

Re: Cycling...a missed opportunity?

Post by WiggyDiggy »

I'd agree that side of Leeds is great to cycle around, I was on the MTB doing some offroad trails around there Sunday but Ive done plenty of miles on road also.

The NCN is managed by Sustrans though, and not very well. They seem to do to treat parts of it with equal neglect and respect, sometimes on the same routes.

I cant place NCN 66 exactly - they've changed their website so you are forced to buy their maps - but is that one that runs alongside a farmers field on a rutted muddy path in Halton Moor?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

WiggyDiggy wrote:I'd agree that side of Leeds is great to cycle around, I was on the MTB doing some offroad trails around there Sunday but Ive done plenty of miles on road also.

The NCN is managed by Sustrans though, and not very well. They seem to do to treat parts of it with equal neglect and respect, sometimes on the same routes.

I cant place NCN 66 exactly - they've changed their website so you are forced to buy their maps - but is that one that runs alongside a farmers field on a rutted muddy path in Halton Moor?
I'm not sure - it must get to the east of Leeds somehow so that could be it - I agree it's ridiculous that an organisation that is supposed to be promoting and encouraging cycling will only show you where to go if you buy stuff from them. I was referring to the section between Thorpe Park and Aberford via Garforth, most of which is off road, mainly well surfaced bridleways.
Alternatively from the end of Manston Lane you have a choice of 3 cycling routes, (one of which goes right across the middle of Garforth Golf Club... :) ) to either Garforth, Scholes, or an alternative route to join NCN 66 towards Aberford.

At the moment I'm planning new routes using the LCC Definitive Map and tracking down bridleways, byways and the like - although some of them are a bit squelchy at the moment so it can be a bit trial and error: https://cms.esriuk.com/leedscc/Sites/LCCPROW/# (click on the pin symbol on the left to bring up the key)
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

raveydavey wrote: I'm not sure - it must get to the east of Leeds somehow so that could be it - I agree it's ridiculous that an organisation that is supposed to be promoting and encouraging cycling will only show you where to go if you buy stuff from them. I was referring to the section between Thorpe Park and Aberford via Garforth, most of which is off road, mainly well surfaced bridleways.
Alternatively from the end of Manston Lane you have a choice of 3 cycling routes, (one of which goes right across the middle of Garforth Golf Club... :) ) to either Garforth, Scholes, or an alternative route to join NCN 66 towards Aberford.)
The only off road route from Garforth to Aberford, is the Flyline I wrote of earlier in another thread.

The Flyline can be accessed following the lane opposite southern end of the golf course, or by going on road along Aberford Road then Ash Lane. The Flyline is not too bad in summer, in dry weather, but it can becomes very muddy in parts when its wet.