EAST COAST MAIN LINE

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Re: EAST COAST MAIN LINE

Post by cnosni »

Cardiarms wrote:Where can I put my bike?
Apparently there are bike racks located in a few places along the train.

Not sure how they will be stored and what the access/security factors will be but as fara s ican see it looks like there will be some sort of lightweight rack every other carriage (dont quote me).

Easier for passengers to get their bikes on and off in the respect that they wont have to rely on platform staff to allow them access to the DVT or TGS on a HST, but more difficult as it introduces more competition for space within the passenger areas.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

cnosni wrote:

Not sure how they will be stored and what the access/security factors will be but as fara s ican see it looks like there will be some sort of lightweight rack every other carriage (dont quote me).

Easier for passengers to get their bikes on and off in the respect that they wont have to rely on platform staff to allow them access to the DVT or TGS on a HST, but more difficult as it introduces more competition for space within the passenger areas.
More backwards thinking then.

Its not easier to get on/off the train as its out with using the wide doored luggage van thats either normally open or easily flagged to be opened, and in with wrestling your bike in/out of a passenger door through whoever is trying to get on/off at the same time.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Don't have to travel by rail very ofton but came up to Leeds for a reunion just before Christmas and went to Garforth station in good time on the Sunday morning to get the 11 30 am. to Leeds and then connect with the Bristol train leaving Leeds just after 12 oclock . about 20 mins. before it was due a sign came on saying the York train was delayed 20 mins. as it was too late to get a taxi I just had to wait until it arrived. I got to Leeds about 12. 15. and went to enquire when the next train for the West country might be to be informed my train was delayed by 50 mins. though relieved I thought to myself "Things on the railways don't seem to have changed much"
Sorry about the moan but I used to go this route 60 years ago quite regularly and it was like that then.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

WiggyDiggy wrote:
cnosni wrote:

More backwards thinking then.

Its not easier to get on/off the train as its out with using the wide doored luggage van thats either normally open or easily flagged to be opened, and in with wrestling your bike in/out of a passenger door through whoever is trying to get on/off at the same time.
Having to be careful what i say and how is ay it, but yes,its something we have flagged up. Also the lack of large luggage space in a dedicated vehicle will lead to more baggage being in the passenger areas.

Seeing some of those trains going to Edinburgh, where they have a baggage check in desk next to the DVT door to label up the bags and put them in,i can see some real problems ahead.

The trains are technically excellent however they have taken what is basically a unit, albeit high speed, that is used over a relatively a short distance with minimal stops, and adapted it into a long distance Inter City train that carries hundreds of people to some of the biggest cities in the UK ,3 of which happen to be the 3 biggest tourist attractions in the whole country.

Personally i would like to see the the 7 car Mkiv sets used on York/Newcastle only stop Edinburgh services as then large quantities of baggage can be catered for in the DVT
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'd quite like to see apple green A3s and blue A4s hauling teak coaches along the full route... :)
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote:I'd quite like to see apple green A3s and blue A4s hauling teak coaches along the full route... :)
Not me Ravey, sounds too much like hard work.
On the mkiv 7 car set issue i spoke to someone toady on the inside so to speak and apparently there is are no current plans to retain any mkiv coaching stock once the full IEP program is complete.

They will be going to an electrified Midland line,which is what we were originally told.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

j.c.d. wrote: I got to Leeds about 12. 15. and went to enquire when the next train for the West country might be to be informed my train was delayed by 50 mins. though relieved I thought to myself "Things on the railways don't seem to have changed much".
I know the feeling j.c.d. - a few years ago I had to attend a funeral near Taunton and found that my train was progressively advertised as 15, 35,45 mins late and then, ultmately, cancelled !! I enquired at the GNER (then) desk, no-one else around, and was helpfully told that "Oooh, no, its not cancelled but its just not calling here - hurry up and catch the 1202 Nottingham train and change at Sheffield - your's is coming direct via York to make time up." Panting my way to platform 17 (I think) with many others I found the Northern Rail conductor on the platform, trying to get his train off on time and observing woefully "Look at all this lot, Plymouth's knocked again !!" However, he was very helpful and gave experienced tips on how we should deal with the further "hiccups" which were likely to occur as we struggled south westwards. Exciting isn't it ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

BLAKEY wrote:
j.c.d. wrote: I got to Leeds about 12. 15. and went to enquire when the next train for the West country might be to be informed my train was delayed by 50 mins. though relieved I thought to myself "Things on the railways don't seem to have changed much".
I know the feeling j.c.d. - a few years ago I had to attend a funeral near Taunton and found that my train was progressively advertised as 15, 35,45 mins late and then, ultmately, cancelled !! I enquired at the GNER (then) desk, no-one else around, and was helpfully told that "Oooh, no, its not cancelled but its just not calling here - hurry up and catch the 1202 Nottingham train and change at Sheffield - your's is coming direct via York to make time up." Panting my way to platform 17 (I think) with many others I found the Northern Rail conductor on the platform, trying to get his train off on time and observing woefully "Look at all this lot, Plymouth's knocked again !!" However, he was very helpful and gave experienced tips on how we should deal with the further "hiccups" which were likely to occur as we struggled south westwards. Exciting isn't it ??

I travel about once a month from my home in Gloucester to visit family in Leeds by car and the fuel cost is about £60 return but that occasion I went by train, cost over £100, had to contend with people using their laptops on the table plus mobile phone users even though we were supposed to be a phone free carriage. that coupled with the inconvenience of not having transport when I got there made me decide not to do it again.
Forgot to say that on the return journey some poor bugger had a heart attack so the train had to stop at some small station to let the medics come on and take him away. we got to Birmingham with minutes to spare for my connection.
Sorry to be off the original Topic but can't miss a chance to have a moan.

Bracken

Post by Bracken »

With HS2 getting another thumbs down i wonder id the new IEP trains will be able to reach 140mph on the ECML.What a waste having the class 91s being able to travel at this speed and retricted to 125mph.They tested the flashing green signals meaning the next signal was green but this was last we heard of it.The APT had a system called CAPT with cab speed limit maybe this could have been carried forward.