Leeds Coronation Celebrations on Film

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
blackprince

Leeds Coronation Celebrations on Film

Post by blackprince »

I found this 1953 colour film archive clip of Leeds preparations for the 1953 Coronation. I particularly liked the decorated bus and the firing of a gun salute on Woodhouse moor.
http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/fil ... ions-leeds

(Apologies if it has been posted before on this forum , but its worth a second look IMHO.)
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leodian

Re: Leeds Coronation Celebrations on Film

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for posting that fascinating film blackprince. It also shows well how though some buildings and areas are still the same there has been major changes to many sites.

I wonder who ran the red bus that is seen going along The Headrow at around 1 minute 33 seconds as I don't recall Leeds City Transport buses being red (though with my poor recollection of things there probably were red ones!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

fearnville

Post by fearnville »

west yorkshire buses were red. their bus station was behind the headrow

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

There were a few small companies that ran red buses in & out of Leeds but by far the largest was West Yorkshire which painted its buses post office red with a cream stripe as seen in the film clip. I can't quite make out the destination blind in the video.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

blackprince wrote:There were a few small companies that ran red buses in & out of Leeds but by far the largest was West Yorkshire which painted its buses post office red with a cream stripe as seen in the film clip. I can't quite make out the destination blind in the video.

I remember Red Buses using the small Bus station on the corner of CrossYork Street (opp the Slaughterhouse) known as the Riding Bus Station but there used to be Buses going from Aire Street but they might have been Wallace Arnolds who also ran their coaches from the Calls.
as a kid I recall how excited I was going through the passage from Kirkgate to the Calsl and climbing on a bus bound for somewhere on the Coast.

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

You must have very lucky J.c.d going to the coast.When i was a child, we were so poor we could not even afford a vitamin D deficiency.
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing