MILITARY PLANE

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

MILITARY PLANE

Post by BLAKEY »

On Saturday lunchtime around 1300 - 1345 I noticed a very large four engined prop aircraft, mainly plain black or a dark colour, approaching from the east at a height as if preparing to land at LBA. It passed twice in a very few minutes, unless of course there were two indentical planes. Did anyone else notice it :?: :?: The heavy engine note was most impressive and "Lancaster like" although obviously not quite the same.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

buffaloskinner

Re: MILITARY PLANE

Post by buffaloskinner »

Hi Blakey, my missus said it was dark green it went right over us
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Hercules transport possibly
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Thanks buffaloskinner and cnosni - yes that would definitely be it. I was in the Armley Museum Car park when I saw it, and the sun was really bright, but dark green I'm sure it was - the plane I mean, not the sun :) Also no doubt a Hercules, but I was so surprised and fascinated by it as a change from Jet 2 ,Ryanair and all the rest of the glitzy holiday machines that I hadn't given that a thought.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

The first of the Hercules replacements, the Airbus A400 Atlas, has now been delivered to the RAF. Next time you see a "Herc" it might be an Atlas. Could be hard to spot the difference at a glance. Atlas paint scheme is grey.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

guitar man

Post by guitar man »

I have made many a trip in a Hercules aircraft it`s been in service with the RAF since 1967 so at long last have they found a replacement.