WW1 commemorative parade Saturday 26th July 2014

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

Took a bit to find this on the Leeds.gov website, and apologies if this had been covered elsewhere but here is the linkhttp://www.leeds.gov.uk/Events/Pages/first-wor ... rvice.aspx

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

What a shame that there has been little promotion of this - this is the first I've heard of it.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Nope, never heard a word.First i knew is when i heard about it on Radio Leeds this morning.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

It's a crying shame that events like this are given little or no promotion ahead of time.If I'd known about I'd have gone - however by the time I found out about, thanks to SL, plans had already been made for Saturday so attending was out of the question.As luck would have it I did see the Dakota flying over South Leeds towards the city centre which I presume was part of the parade?It's annoying the number of events that I might have attended that I only hear about afterwards in the pages of the YEP.No doubt someone will point to the fact that it was listed on the council website - but as the original poster noted it wasn't easy to find even when it was being looked for! I've said it before, but putting something several clicks into a website is akin to writing it on a post-it note and sticking that in between the random pages of an arbitrary book in Leeds City Library Archive and expecting people to find it.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi raveydavey. You have a point that information about such events can be almost secretive. It reminded me of this quote from the 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy' pending the demolition of a house:-“But the plans were on display…”“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”“That’s the display department.”“With a flashlight.”“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”“So had the stairs.”“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: Hi raveydavey. You have a point that information about such events can be almost secretive. It reminded me of this quote from the 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy' pending the demolition of a house:-“But the plans were on display…”“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”“That’s the display department.”“With a flashlight.”“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”“So had the stairs.”“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy     I think that just about covers it!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a report about the event on pages 10-11 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (July 28 2014). This is a link to the online version in the YEP website:- http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6752162The newspaper edition has a few more photos than the online version.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.