New road to the airport

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Keg

Post by Keg »

Having looked at the local plan recently, and also at the airport plan, I notice there is a section on a new road running to the airport off the A65 just after the Horsforth roundabout. Why is it needed?I have yet to see Rawdon lights junction gridlocked....
Keg

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Where have you seen this plan? I recall fairly recently hearing about a "Rawdon Bypass" and couldn't work out where it would go.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I haven't seen the current plan, but a previously considered route was to come off the ring road before Horsforth roundabout, up through the farmland opposite the crematorium and on to the airport. I can't find a copy of the proposed route, but it was NOT a popular proposal at the time, particularly with house owners on Layton Lane.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

We don't fly anymore so the airport doesn'bother me much.However,having read recent reports about poor service,expensive parking ratesthe private hire monoply etc. I would not want any morepublic money on road OR rail access.If they want the benefits they should pay,its just a business likemany others and they probably don't get the support they needvfrom this short sighted administration ( ? )
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Keg

Post by Keg »

The plan is on both the Airport website and on the Rawdon Parish Council site.
Keg

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The airport masterplan is at http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/a ... n_REVJ.pdf and the section on surface access starts on page 37 (linked from http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/a ... masterplan). What it doesn't address is how Scotland Lane is used as a ratrun, especially by taxis. It looks like the proposed road still follows the route of the old one. One idea might be to upgrade Scotland Lane from a twisty country road, but I know people around the Scotland Way development get upset about the traffic along there.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

dogduke wrote: We don't fly anymore so the airport doesn'bother me much.However,having read recent reports about poor service,expensive parking ratesthe private hire monoply etc. I would not want any morepublic money on road OR rail access.If they want the benefits they should pay,its just a business likemany others and they probably don't get the support they needvfrom this short sighted administration ( ? ) Seconded. The new owners, as you might expect, seem focused on profit at all costs.The council no longer have an interest in the airport and shouldn't spend another penny of public money on it. If there supposedly isn't money for basic council services, there certainly isn't money for the Keith Wakefield Expressway to the airport.Of course a cynic might suspect that much like other roads planned around Leeds, it isn't so much the new road that is the attraction to the council but the money that is to be made from the developments that are built alongside it...    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Brodleian

Post by Brodleian »

Living just below the Yeadon traffic-lights I suppose I should welcome the Rawdon by-pass. But, other than about 30 minutes at each peak when traffic does start to stack-up, I can't say that there's much of a problem north-bound. Southbound can stack-up back from the lights into the tunnel, but 5 mins usually sees one through. Really, for all the expense, and disruption to those in Rawdon who are going to find this road running past their doors, is this justified?

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I can't apologise enough -- I meant to thank everyone for the information provided.