RAILWAYS AND WW1

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
jim

Post by jim »

Munitions factories often seemed to have railway loops encircling them. As they were of neccessity some distance from housing the workers were carried in by rail. They could be unloaded quickly and the train carry on round the loop to return to the main line without getting in the way of following trains. The raw materials and munitions trains could do the same so the layout was practical.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: guitar man wrote: Close to where I live is the site of Barnbow Munitions Factory which made shells for the military ,it had its own internal rail system linked to The Leeds to York and Selby line. I have seen photos of the munitions factory but none of the railway ,the was thirteen miles in total tracks. The railway was operated by The North Eastern Railway. There are "latest additions" on Leodis. One of them is the railway station http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLA few more of Barnbow in " latest addition" on Leodishttp://tinyurl.com/kn2eat8Do we know whereabouts on the site it was? and how long was it in place?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

liits

Post by liits »

I’m still plugging away at this, but I’ve noticed an error. The plan, while it appears to be to scale, is not geographically accurate.Using two known and fixed locations – Lazencroft Farm to the west and Shippen House Farm to the east, the plan will line up with one or the other but not both.I’m guessing that the plan is either a more modern mosaic composite from an older document and that there is a strip running top to bottom that is over-lapped [although it looks fine], or it was originally a photograph of a page in a book and the right-hand side curved down into the central binding of the book – does that make sense?Locating the plan to the west on Lazencroft Farm, everything eastwards [to about where Manston Lane does a sharp left and turns into Barnbow Lane] lines up perfectly.Locating the plan east on Shippen House Farm and things start to go on safari. Apart from the fact the whole east side of the map is now “off”, and the area now covered by Amaranth Cricket Club is of also – this is obvious from the ground marks on Google Earth. The further east you go, the greater the error becomes.The plan, cribbed from the Barwick in Elmet History Society is a poor copy [of a copy, of a copy etc] so no wonder, really. Also, some of it is very indistinct and it is unclear as to the extent of some of the buildings.I’m gonna play with it some more over the next couple of days and try and make it work.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

jim wrote: Munitions factories often seemed to have railway loops encircling them. As they were of neccessity some distance from housing the workers were carried in by rail. They could be unloaded quickly and the train carry on round the loop to return to the main line without getting in the way of following trains. The raw materials and munitions trains could do the same so the layout was practical. Template for Drax,Eggborough,Ferrybridge etc power stations for merry go roundcoal trains?Nothing new under the sun as granny used to say
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

guitar man

Post by guitar man »

The site of Barnbow Munitions facory is about five minutes from my house very little remains of the site. I did once lead a walk around the site about fifteen years ago. the buildings were made of wood on brick foundations .The site closed down after the First World War and was cleared sometime in the nineteen thirtes. Don`t confuse it with Barnbow Tank factory which in time will be demolished to make way for housing then there will be no trace of the armanents past history

liits

Post by liits »

guitar man wrote: The site closed down after the First World War and was cleared sometime in the nineteen thirtes. The last surviving building from the WW1 site is now used as the Colton Institute, at the junction of Maynell Lane & Colton Lane, Colton. It was removed from the site in 1922 "pulled on a cart by two horses"