Apache Gunship Helicopter flying over Leeds Tuesday 6th May 2014!

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

A few minutes ago, approximately 14:15 I was just sat doing some work on my computer when I heard a deep 'chukk chukk chukk' sound approaching and as I stepped out onto my balcony I looked up to see a large black Apache Gunship helicopter flying overhead at about 500 feet. it flew directly towards the southern end of the Leeds Bradford airport and looked to be making a landing. It vanished over the horizon and I didnt see it rise back up into the air. Quite a sight for a quiet Tuesday afternoon! Did anyone else see it? I wish I could say I'd taken this photo of the helicopter but by the time I'd fiddled with my phone to get the camera going the Apache was just a speck on the screen...
Attachments
apache.jpg
apache.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Gil

Post by Gil »

Hi. Yes I saw this today! I was walking past the LGI & it came in to land on the roof. It was a real shock to see one of the world's most lethal killing machines this close. Could see the chain gun slung under it's nose. Guess it was just training but probably somebody who works at the hospital will know for sure.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

jonleeds wrote: A few minutes ago, approximately 14:15 I was just sat doing some work on my computer when I heard a deep 'chukk chukk chukk' sound approaching and as I stepped out onto my balcony I looked up to see a large black Apache Gunship helicopter flying overhead at about 500 feet. it flew directly towards the southern end of the Leeds Bradford airport and looked to be making a landing. It vanished over the horizon and I didnt see it rise back up into the air. Quite a sight for a quiet Tuesday afternoon! Did anyone else see it? I wish I could say I'd taken this photo of the helicopter but by the time I'd fiddled with my phone to get the camera going the Apache was just a speck on the screen... By heck Jon, what were you looking at on your computer that warranted an Apache going all 'Blue Thunder' outside your window..?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Gil wrote: Hi. Yes I saw this today! I was walking past the LGI & it came in to land on the roof. It was a real shock to see one of the world's most lethal killing machines this close. Could see the chain gun slung under it's nose. Guess it was just training but probably somebody who works at the hospital will know for sure. Hi Gil, welcome to the forum! Thats interesting to hear that the Apache helicopter landed on the LGI roof helipad, although I've since heard that apparently quite a few military helicopters have used it as part of training exercises. It did look fully loaded like there was a full array of weapons systems attached to the 'wings'. Raveydavey, I doubt they'd send an Apache gunship to bust me for my collection of vintage Mrs Mills party music on reel to reel tapes... or maybe they would - who knows..?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jonleeds wrote: Gil wrote: Hi. Yes I saw this today! I was walking past the LGI & it came in to land on the roof. It was a real shock to see one of the world's most lethal killing machines this close. Could see the chain gun slung under it's nose. Guess it was just training but probably somebody who works at the hospital will know for sure. Hi Gil, welcome to the forum! Thats interesting to hear that the Apache helicopter landed on the LGI roof helipad, although I've since heard that apparently quite a few military helicopters have used it as part of training exercises. It did look fully loaded like there was a full array of weapons systems attached to the 'wings'. Raveydavey, I doubt they'd send an Apache gunship to bust me for my collection of vintage Mrs Mills party music on reel to reel tapes... or maybe they would - who knows..? Ah Mrs Mills. That brought back memories of simpler entertainment times. This is a link to an about 4½ minutes video in YouTube showing Mrs Mills on the Morecambe & Wise show in 1971 and in it she plays several tunes:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSf5uMB0eL0Apologies for having gone off-thread jon but your post made me recall Mrs Mills and then Winifred Atwell, Russ Conway...
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Bugblatter

Post by Bugblatter »

Just weighing up which is scarier. An approaching Apache helicopter or Mrs. Mills. I was in a meeting with my boss and could hear a helicopter but I must have looked so surprised when the Apache came into view because he stopped talking and then asked me what's up.
Leeds born and bred

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

It might have looked like a WAH-64 Longbow Apache. I just had the fleeting idea, West Yorkshire Police had brought in Blue Thunder as a trial!
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 3350 times

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I missed the Apache, sadly, but I noticed a light aeroplane with a banner for some radio station or other -- perhpas the Apache was drafted in to deal with it ?

whitecoatboy

Post by whitecoatboy »

yes i kind of saw it, i didnt know it was an apache but had a feeling it was millitary and noticed it due to the deep sound it made
if it feels good ......... dig it!

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

BarFly wrote: I missed the Apache, sadly, but I noticed a light aeroplane with a banner for some radio station or other -- perhpas the Apache was drafted in to deal with it ? I didn't see it either - or the plane, but that was promo for Heart Radio, who have taken over, sorry merged with Real Radio.