HS2

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Bracken

Post by Bracken »

I always remember when France and other countries were building brand new railway lines for high speed travel the excuse in this country was there was not the room to build new lines.Strange how the population has increased with more housing and green belt swallowed up that all of a sudden there is room for a line.What we should also be campaigning for in Leeds and the North is ridding us or those awful Pacer trains that should never have been allowed on the network.They say they will have to go by 2019 but we need to make sure we receive better surburban transport as well as better high speed trains.

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Hi Bracken, is it possible for you to add your post to the exisiting HS2 thread here http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... D=5105This one can then be closed. Thanks.    

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Does it have to be moved to an existing thread? Some threads have so many pages that you loose your place and give up trying to follow them i.e. pubs closing now 28 pages.
Hunslet born and bread

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Tyke wrote: Does it have to be moved to an existing thread? Some threads have so many pages that you loose your place and give up trying to follow them i.e. pubs closing now 28 pages. I would think keeping things nice and neat in one thread was the most organised and user friendly way to run a forum. Instead of having 28 pages about pubs closing. You would end up with 28 or more different threads about pubs closing. All that useful info split into bits and pieces which would be very difficult to research. Duplicate threads are bad enough, but starting a new thread each time a topic goes over a certain amount of pages would be a nightmare. There would be no continuity at all and a lot of old ground being raked over.I did at one time suggest starting a new thread when it got very long, I believe Duncan started to do that when they reached a 100 pages. Perhaps 50 pages might be better to find things later?            
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Bracken wrote: I always remember when France and other countries were building brand new railway lines for high speed travel the excuse in this country was there was not the room to build new lines.Strange how the population has increased with more housing and green belt swallowed up that all of a sudden there is room for a line.What we should also be campaigning for in Leeds and the North is ridding us or those awful Pacer trains that should never have been allowed on the network.They say they will have to go by 2019 but we need to make sure we receive better surburban transport as well as better high speed trains. Reversing your argument, I don't think it was ever the lack of room, but certainly as the demand ie greater population has increased there is a good argument to now build it, don't you think?It is the art of the possible, and who pays for this ? More tax, the Chinese or Russians, EEC? Taxpayers, or Council Tax.Regarding France, we've about the same population but Population density (people per sq. km of land area) = France 120 UK     263 But, yeah I think we need the trains, and there's been too many years of complete neglect and failure to build new rail infrastructure.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Croggy1 wrote: Hi Bracken, is it possible for you to add your post to the exisiting HS2 thread here http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... D=5105This one can then be closed. Thanks.     Quite so, when multiple threads emerge, those later seeking information are likely to overlook much of whatever is already recorded or we end up with multiple threads repeating what has gone before, making reading for some, rather less than interesting to say the least.It has to be said that newcomers may find it difficult to identify the existence of an earlier thread but it is much easier to do these days if time is taken to use the much improved search facility dsco introduced.I think moving a new thread to an existing one as soon as it is identified should be an imperative, certainly it is what we used to try and do! Dsco tells us that the ability to merge threads will be a feature of the new site, which supports the argument for this action ( and be a less time consuming task than now!).    

MrTempleDene

Post by MrTempleDene »

In my experience no-one reads the whole thread before pitching in if they think it's too long, certainly no-one will bother if it's 28 pages long, so repetition will happen in one big thread just as much as if new threads pop up.

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Repetition of posts always occurs on forums if you have numerous pages or multiple threads. Researching a topic normally means using the search facility anyway so having all the information in one long thread or scattered about will get the same results. Personally I am dissuaded from posting as I haven’t gotten the time (or inclination) to read through all the previous comments to see if I am repeating any earlier posts.
Hunslet born and bread

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

dsco wrote: another exciting new feature of phpBB is the ability to merge threads, so we can curate things a bit better from now on. One thread for one topic seems to be the way the site owner wants things.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

He who pays the piper calls the tunes.
Hunslet born and bread