A New Site for Leeds Bradford Airport.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Igor Belanov wrote: This is surely a bit of a pointless exercise? Leeds has an airport, whatever its faults, and for flights that are unavailable from LBA Manchester is a perfectly viable alternative. The financial and environmental costs of new airports are big, and Church Fenton is hardly 'Leeds' and a suitable subject for civic pride.Plus, the last time I went through Church Fenton the village was awash with posters protesting against HS2, so they would hardly be likely to welcome an international airport at the edge of the village. Total navel gazing, but if you had a clean sheet what would you do? I doubt we seriously expect it to come to anything.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

LBA won't be moving anywhere folks. Trust me. they've bought alot of the surrounding land in the past few years. That can be for only one reason.    
Come on Leeds United!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

RAF Church Fenton is to be fully decommissioned shortly and the land must first be offered back to those from whom it was acquired. Local understanding is that housing is on the cards and more likely.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

chameleon wrote: RAF Church Fenton is to be fully decommissioned shortly and the land must first be offered back to those from whom it was acquired. Local understanding is that housing is on the cards and more likely. I feel quite nostalgic about RAF Church Fenton closing completely. I had my first ever flight from there as an ATC Cadet in an RAF Avro Anson one sunny Spring Sunday in 1957. I felt a bit apprehensive as we taxied towards the runway, particularly when we passed an aircraft wreck; I didn't realise at the time that this was the practice piece for the RAF Fire Service! I soon lost apprehension as the Anson took off and bumped around for an hour or so. I flew from Church Fenton quite a lot with the ATC, in de Havilland Chipmunks, aerobatics and all. So fond memories of the place.I dislike the way LBA has been run since privatisation. The message to all travellers is that its management sees us as nothing but cash generators, and since its mean little £2 drop-off & pick-up fee I've sworn a solemn oath that it won't see a penny piece from me. So I park at Sentinel and use the transfer service. In fairness, the range of destinations is now better, but I'm still mainly using Schiphol as hub for most journeys.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

I think LBA does a good job as it is. Yes there are problems with the weather, fast public transport conection (non existant) and the roads can be a nightmare, but on the whole its a good alternative to Manchester.Another thing we need to ask ourselves is if we would want lots more aircraft flying over Leeds. I can see that some expansion/ increase in flights would be of benefit to the city but there wil be a point where the noise associated with extra flights would negate the benefit of thos extra flights.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi conisi i am with you all the way i have flown from Manchester twice but i will not go from there again.We used to fly with Thomas Cook but when they stopped flying from LBA we booked with them at Manchester the trouble is the journey to the airport and back its not for me .I know you have a limited choice from LBA but the places i go are covered from LBA, I can be there in twenty minutes if the weather is bad i have more chance of getting there than Manchester At times there is more chance of the M62 being closed than LBA.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I'm another one who likes to fly from LBA. Like Uno Hoo mentioned, I tend to use Schiphol as a hub to go further afield. I find the queues for security and the like are quicker at LBA despite its size and enjoy the "carrier landings" when it's windy on the day of the return flight.I have the number of a local taxi firm in my phone and call them to pick me up on the road outside so I don't have to pay twice as much to get an official taxi. It's certainly cheaper and quicker than the train to Manchester.

tyke bhoy

Re: A New Site for Leeds Bradford Airport.

Post by tyke bhoy »

Well I hope the faux pas was by Look North's Danni Hewson rather than Leeds East Airport's PR team because Danni Tweeted there is to be an air show there later this year. The first since the 60's :?

Oops! :shock: She has had a few replies putting it 20 years later in the eighties and I remember that too. If her info came from the airport its not an auspicious start to the marketing not to know the more recent history of the airport ) ;)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

tyke bhoy wrote:Well I hope the faux pas was by Look North's Danni Hewson rather than Leeds East Airport's PR team because Danni Tweeted there is to be an air show there later this year. The first since the 60's :?

Oops! :shock: She has had a few replies putting it 20 years later in the eighties and I remember that too. If her info came from the airport its not an auspicious start to the marketing not to know the more recent history of the airport ) ;)
What have i missed, is there going to be an air show there?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

cnosni wrote: What have i missed, is there going to be an air show there?
Well the veracity of the Tweet is in question, given the mistake on when the last airshow was, but it did suggest September 2015 would see an airshow. However as Look North appear to be doing a PR job* for the new owner then it is probably correct.

*Danni Hewson did a report on Thursday's Look North from the airfield. No real mention of the airport and non that I heard of an airshow but promoting its use as film sets using the massive hangars as sound stages.

I can't see anything about the airshow on the airport's web page, facebook page or twitter timeline either
http://www.leedseastairport.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/leedseastairport
https://twitter.com/leedseairport

Given the recent spam invasion please note I have no financial interest in the airfield my only interest is its proximity to Leeds.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/