HS2

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phil that reminds me of a phrase Leeds coined in the 70's and applied primarily to its then transport strategy but equally applicable to many other aspects since then 'LEEDS LEADS'.Indeed in many things we did lead and others then followed, learned from our mistakes and then did it properly

tilly

Post by tilly »

One thing I think they have done well is the water front in the middle of Leeds when I was a lad it was an eye sore.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

cnosni wrote: raveydavey wrote: Great post cnosni.He is of right of course, but Wakefield and Bradford working with Leeds?Wakefield (the city) has already publicly called for the scheme to be radically altered so they get a station, or scrapped altogether. And experience of our wonderful council (Wakefield the councillor) and big projects hardly fills you with confidence, does it..? Indeed Davey, but what is the answer?It takes an outsider to identify the shortcomings that we have as a city and a region, but what can we as a populace do to have the right people represent us?     Thats the problem - huge swathes of Leeds will vote for their incumbent party regardless of who they put up. A series of posts on the YEP website makes a very valid point about this tied in with the city centre flood alleviation scheme - we all know all that water is going to end up somewhere else at a great rate of knots and we all suspect it will be Methley and Allerton Bywater, despite assurances otherwise. But these wards would elect a chimp if it was wearing a red rosette and those in charge know this, so arrogantly ignore their concerns or pass them off with vague assurances about a computer model predicting that dumping a huge amount of water down river won't break the banks at the first low lying place it gets to.....We need a mayor - one person with vision to move things forwards and the powers to force the unelected council officers out of their stupor and into action. But we voted against that a few years ago didn't we?* Leeds - capital of inertia.* - the scandal of loads of voting papers "going missing" was nicely sidestepped and never mentioned again. Apparently "lessons were learned", so that's alright then.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

headingleylad

Post by headingleylad »

Looks like Leeds is going to lose out to Manchester again, with Manchester getting the HS2 eight years before Leeds according to the BBC News last night. This does not surprise me with the people who run Leeds City Council, they let anybody rough ride over them all the time, seeing Leeds is a small city up north which does not matter. This follows the news that HS1 is to continue to Crewe, Whitby & Scarborough Tory MP Robert Goodwill suggested that Leeds would not lose out because we are getting the Northern Hub and the Transpennine Line is being electrified.
Lived in Leeds all my life, Cookridge Headingley

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

headingleylad wrote: This does not surprise me with the people who run Leeds City Council, they let anybody rough ride over them all the time, seeing Leeds is a small city up north which does not matter. How can you say that about our great City leaders?BAAAAAA!
Attachments
Sheep_in_suits.jpg
Sheep_in_suits.jpg (110.03 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: headingleylad wrote: This does not surprise me with the people who run Leeds City Council, they let anybody rough ride over them all the time, seeing Leeds is a small city up north which does not matter. How can you say that about our great City leaders?BAAAAAA! I think you credit them with too much when comapring them to sheep.I cant find anything about Manchester getting HS2 8 yeras before Leeds though.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Just been on BBC news website,nothing there and nothing about Scarborough and HS1,considering HS1 is into St Pancras i cant see how it can go to Scarborough.There has been talk of ECML services running to Scarborough and the ECML contract lasting 9 years.Also the electrification between Liverpool, Manchester Leeds and York (the Northern Hub) will take about 8 years to finishhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26068933
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Duplicate post added here for forum continuity.BrackenUserLocation:FarsleyJoined on:30-Jun-2009 13:02:33Posted:17 posts# Posted on: 17-Apr-2014 09:13:10.     I always remember when France and other countries were building brand new railway lines for high speed travel the excuse in this country was there was not the room to build new lines.Strange how the population has increased with more housing and green belt swallowed up that all of a sudden there is room for a line.What we should also be campaigning for in Leeds and the North is ridding us or those awful Pacer trains that should never have been allowed on the network.They say they will have to go by 2019 but we need to make sure we receive better surburban transport as well as better high speed trains.        
Attachments
Capture11.JPG
Capture11.JPG (0 Bytes) Viewed 2990 times
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Keg # Posted on: 19-Apr-2014 10:41:07.     Delete | Edit | QuoteLocation: LeedsJoined on: 23-Mar-2007 11:55:06Posted: 164 postsMy personal opinion is that HS2 a waste of money, it will not generate the jobs that are being bandied about. Getting to London x number of minutes earlier will not make people move jobs and businesses. It's a vanity project. Let's use the money and improve local infrastructure and join up with other types of transport.

Bracken

Post by Bracken »

I was wondering what the journey time would have been if the Advanced Passenger train had not been dropped on the Leeds London route.A shame we did not have the courage to see this train through.If you have never been to the Crewe Heritage Centre where the remaining set is it is worth a visit to this static train which can be viewed inside and out including the drivers cab.Last October they even got the first driving coach to tilt again.