Where in Leeds 2

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Just been looking some of the clues again. And i just don't gate that east to west one. Anyway going away till the new year so well done to the victor
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Is it the former (?) Aire and Calder Navigation administrative centre at the junction of Bridge End and Dock Street?There is a prominent No 1 above the front door. It is indeed the old British Waterways Admin centre close to the original central feature of Leeds Bridge where the Aire and Calder navigation passes under east to west, a grand old building it sports a Number 1 above the door and the history is such, and the waterways system such that it would spawn a lot of clues....The next one being that this particular centre of Leeds has been on film for many years. My dad was a boatman for a few years when he was young carrying coals from Rothwell Colliery. At that time you did your job not your hours so any delays would see you out right into the night. Times were hard and the River/Canal/Bridges/Weirs were good suicide spots. Any boatman recovering a dead body from the water was paid 5/0d. for the dead body. If you rescued someone alive you got 2/6d. Therefore the boatmen (according to my dad) would use the boathooks to hold the live ones under for a bit.