Surviving Leeds city transport buses

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Hannibal69 wrote: Hi stutterdog,Paul passed away in the LGI 1/09/2004. It was mercifully quick in the end, a heart attack brought on by the lung cancer/breathing difficulties. He had been on "do not resusitate" status for some time, but, like the old soldier he was, stuck it out with courage and good humour to the end.Sorry to hear about yourself, hope that all goes ok and that you get well soon. I got diagnosed with Polycythaemia (a type of blood cancer) last November, back to Jimmy's next week again. We wouldn't make a good one between us would we!!! Cheers,Han. Hello Han,                 I didn't realize it was so long ago that Paul had died,and it must have been the year before that I spoke to him.Time fly's when your getting old! I'm going back to Jimmie's a week on Fri. to have mine removed.Should have had it done last Fri. Op got cancelled. All the best to you Han. Might see you over there! Regards Stutterdog
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Do any of you real bus buffs out there remember the few ex-Manchester buses that Leeds bought?(i'll never know why).They were the worst buses I have ever driven in 20yrs on the buses! The cab noise from the rattling and banging as they rolled along was horrendous! Everytime I took one on I would try and get it changed over! One or two of them weren't even fit for the road because they would "wander" from side to side and needed constant corrections to the steering wheel! Whoever authorised the purchase of these vehicles was not doing his job right. I bet Manchester were laughing their heads off when they got rid of these for money!
ex-Armley lad

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Remember them well, but they weren't "bought by Leeds." It was immediately following De-regulation Day of October 26th 1986 when the entire nature of the industry altered overnight - courtesy of Grantham's most famous lady - you know who !! The West Yorkshire PTE became a private firm called Yorkshire Rider, and in Greater Manchester the same occurred and the PTE there went the same way. Both former PTEs and most others found that they immediately needed far less vehicles and much "slimming down" of fleets occurred. Initially, in the panic of the time, West Yorkshire returned all their leased vehicles (many quite new) and sold others. Manchester did the same to a huge extent. When the dust settled it transpired that they'd over reacted and needed more after all - enter the ex Manchester "standards" of which you speak so highly I can't remember the exact figure, but I'm sure Greater Manchester disposed of around 400 such vehicles and they appeared all over the country with operators large and small. Among the former WYPTE modern leased buses disposed of were four Metrobuses wich went to St. Alban's depot in London, and several excellent Olympians from Bramley and elsewhere which are still serving well in Blackpool - went on the former 5006 only last month.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: Remember them well, but they weren't "bought by Leeds." It was immediately following De-regulation Day of October 26th 1986 when the entire nature of the industry altered overnight - courtesy of Grantham's most famous lady - you know who !! The West Yorkshire PTE became a private firm called Yorkshire Rider, and in Greater Manchester the same occurred and the PTE there went the same way. Both former PTEs and most others found that they immediately needed far less vehicles and much "slimming down" of fleets occurred. Initially, in the panic of the time, West Yorkshire returned all their leased vehicles (many quite new) and sold others. Manchester did the same to a huge extent. When the dust settled it transpired that they'd over reacted and needed more after all - enter the ex Manchester "standards" of which you speak so highly I can't remember the exact figure, but I'm sure Greater Manchester disposed of around 400 such vehicles and they appeared all over the country with operators large and small. Among the former WYPTE modern leased buses disposed of were four Metrobuses wich went to St. Alban's depot in London, and several excellent Olympians from Bramley and elsewhere which are still serving well in Blackpool - went on the former 5006 only last month. To think ,Blakey that I worked for Yorkshire Rider for years and never knew the poitics of the time! I'm genuinly astounded by your great knowledge.
ex-Armley lad

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Well I can only say that public transport (road mainly but not to the exclusion of shipping, air, rail etc) has been what you might call my consuming interest all my life, and has provided me with a happy and fascinating career. I am very very fortunate in this because, as I'm sure you will agree, a large proprtion of bus employees do the job out of the need to "fill the pantry" but are not over keen on it, and some positively hate it - like those who silently abuse me now in my old age when I show my EP pass - its amazing how much ill feeling and venom can be concentrated in a silent look - I feel sorry for that minority. As a side product of the job, I have a wealth of pricelss humorous memories of experiences and characters which I recall constantly with pleasure even now Having said all this, I can claim that I am not an "anorak" festooned in badges, biros and notebooks but more of a serious student of the subject, which is why these discussions are always so interesting. To return to the topic, and the 64**s that you found so rewarding to drive - incidentally "Black Prince" started the Morley services with double deckers which included three of your favourite GM steeds !!. My personal opinion is that De-regulation was nothing short of a wicked act which has allowed the industry to operate in a meaningless "supermarket" way, where zany advertising, route branding and expensive "liveries" etc etc have totally overshadowed the basic requirements - clean, comfortable, punctual buses which everyone recognises for what they are. Actually I always admired Yorkshire Rider, because it was set up, out of necessity, in a ridiculously short period of time and those in charge did their best to put a good show on the road - the livery in particular being bold but tasteful and sensible. I also had the highest regard for "Black Prince" who did their best to operate responsibly and to keep a local "pride" in evidence. One thing is sure, those very wise folk who brought in the 1930 Road Traffic Act which instituted proper maintenance and service and fares regulation must now be spinning in their graves. Well, must ring in for a changeover now, this soap box is getting all lopsided !!     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I see the Office of Fair Trading are to investigate the big boys in the local bus field due to uncompetitive practices including "intimidating" independents which the OFT believe has led to vastly inflated fares
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: Well I can only say that public transport (road mainly but not to the exclusion of shipping, air, rail etc) has been what you might call my consuming interest all my life, and has provided me with a happy and fascinating career. I am very very fortunate in this because, as I'm sure you will agree, a large proprtion of bus employees do the job out of the need to "fill the pantry" but are not over keen on it, and some positively hate it - like those who silently abuse me now in my old age when I show my EP pass - its amazing how much ill feeling and venom can be concentrated in a silent look - I feel sorry for that minority. As a side product of the job, I have a wealth of pricelss humorous memories of experiences and characters which I recall constantly with pleasure even now Having said all this, I can claim that I am not an "anorak" festooned in badges, biros and notebooks but more of a serious student of the subject, which is why these discussions are always so interesting. To return to the topic, and the 64**s that you found so rewarding to drive - incidentally "Black Prince" started the Morley services with double deckers which included three of your favourite GM steeds !!. My personal opinion is that De-regulation was nothing short of a wicked act which has allowed the industry to operate in a meaningless "supermarket" way, where zany advertising, route branding and expensive "liveries" etc etc have totally overshadowed the basic requirements - clean, comfortable, punctual buses which everyone recognises for what they are. Actually I always admired Yorkshire Rider, because it was set up, out of necessity, in a ridiculously short period of time and those in charge did their best to put a good show on the road - the livery in particular being bold but tasteful and sensible. I also had the highest regard for "Black Prince" who did their best to operate responsibly and to keep a local "pride" in evidence. One thing is sure, those very wise folk who brought in the 1930 Road Traffic Act which instituted proper maintenance and service and fares regulation must now be spinning in their graves. Well, must ring in for a changeover now, this soap box is getting all lopsided !!     
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

stutterdog wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Well I can only say that public transport (road mainly but not to the exclusion of shipping, air, rail etc) has been what you might call my consuming interest all my life, and has provided me with a happy and fascinating career. I am very very fortunate in this because, as I'm sure you will agree, a large proprtion of bus employees do the job out of the need to "fill the pantry" but are not over keen on it, and some positively hate it - like those who silently abuse me now in my old age when I show my EP pass - its amazing how much ill feeling and venom can be concentrated in a silent look - I feel sorry for that minority. As a side product of the job, I have a wealth of pricelss humorous memories of experiences and characters which I recall constantly with pleasure even now Having said all this, I can claim that I am not an "anorak" festooned in badges, biros and notebooks but more of a serious student of the subject, which is why these discussions are always so interesting. To return to the topic, and the 64**s that you found so rewarding to drive - incidentally "Black Prince" started the Morley services with double deckers which included three of your favourite GM steeds !!. My personal opinion is that De-regulation was nothing short of a wicked act which has allowed the industry to operate in a meaningless "supermarket" way, where zany advertising, route branding and expensive "liveries" etc etc have totally overshadowed the basic requirements - clean, comfortable, punctual buses which everyone recognises for what they are. Actually I always admired Yorkshire Rider, because it was set up, out of necessity, in a ridiculously short period of time and those in charge did their best to put a good show on the road - the livery in particular being bold but tasteful and sensible. I also had the highest regard for "Black Prince" who did their best to operate responsibly and to keep a local "pride" in evidence. One thing is sure, those very wise folk who brought in the 1930 Road Traffic Act which instituted proper maintenance and service and fares regulation must now be spinning in their graves. Well, must ring in for a changeover now, this soap box is getting all lopsided !!      Hello Blakey, I agree with you 99% .I myself went for the job initially because of the high pay that was earned by becoming an O.M.O driver although it did take a while to attain the required expertise. I think most people after dereg. came on just as a stopgap and stayed. The state of some of the vehicles that were allowed to be run by the small companie;s after dereg. left much to be desired. I think we had better get back to the thread now .Surviving LCT buses. Thanks again for your thoughts
ex-Armley lad

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Always a pleasure, thank you for your feedback - but as you say back to good old LEEDS CITY TRANSPORT now

peterg

Post by peterg »

I don't know whether this is the right place for what I want to know, but since there are so many knowledgeable people on the site, I'll try my luck. I am building a railway layout and, as part of the decoration, I have a Q bus, two Ledgards, one Atlantean, all Leeds related, but I wanted a double deck back loader in LCT livery. I have located one, JUB 727 Crossley, but I have since seen that there are two versions of this bus, one had a Fleet nº 727 and the other one (the one I have bought) has Fleet nº 701 (which I seem to think is the right one). Can anybody clarify this fact for me?