Surviving Leeds city transport buses

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

salt 'n pepper wrote: peterg wrote: Thanks Blakey for your interest..................that yet. Hope you don't mind me muscling in Blakey but I'm happy to point peterg in.............two pictures of the elusive JUB727 on there.They are at.....http://www.sct61.org.uk/ld701and....htt ... /ld701aNot enough technical know-how to actually put those two (very good) photographs directly on here, but they include some good information on the bus.By the way, great to be back with you lot. ~~~~    

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Hello everyone, hope all are well.This post is to inform all you LCT peeps that there is going to be a special bus service day on Sunday 31st August 2014 comprising of the following surviving LCT buses.IN SERVICEUUA 212 - 1955 Leyland PD23916 UB - 1960 AEC Regent V574 CNW - 1962 Daimler CVG6952 JUB - 1964 AEC Regent VCUB 331C - 1965 Leyland AtlanteanDISPLAY ONLYUUA 207 - 1955 Leyland PD2HNW131D - 1966 Daimler FleetlineThe route to be operated on that day will be:Bramley Town End to Thwaite Mills via Armley Mills and Leeds Bus station (Mayfair Bingo stops).It will be a 15 minute service, not sure of exact route and times as yet but will post once finalised.Hope you can get to attend, It should be a wonderful nostalgic trip down memory lane for a lot of us and there will be good photo opportunities, especially at the bus station Mayfair Bingo stops as buses are timed so two buses are at either side of the road simultaneously. Also Armley Mills and Thwaite Mills are both interesting places so you can hop on and off at your will. There will be no fares charged but small donations to help with running / upkeep of these fine vehicles will be gratefully accepted. Can I also take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to all the folk who restore / run / look after these and all other things of the past.
The longer we live the older we get

amber

Post by amber »

BillyBritvic wrote: Hello everyone, hope all are well.This post is to inform all you LCT peeps that there is going to be a special bus service day on Sunday 31st August 2014 comprising of the following surviving LCT buses.IN SERVICEUUA 212 - 1955 Leyland PD23916 UB - 1960 AEC Regent V574 CNW - 1962 Daimler CVG6952 JUB - 1964 AEC Regent VCUB 331C - 1965 Leyland AtlanteanDISPLAY ONLYUUA 207 - 1955 Leyland PD2HNW131D - 1966 Daimler FleetlineThe route to be operated on that day will be:Bramley Town End to Thwaite Mills via Armley Mills and Leeds Bus station (Mayfair Bingo stops).It will be a 15 minute service, not sure of exact route and times as yet but will post once finalised.Hope you can get to attend, It should be a wonderful nostalgic trip down memory lane for a lot of us and there will be good photo opportunities, especially at the bus station Mayfair Bingo stops as buses are timed so two buses are at either side of the road simultaneously. Also Armley Mills and Thwaite Mills are both interesting places so you can hop on and off at your will. There will be no fares charged but small donations to help with running / upkeep of these fine vehicles will be gratefully accepted. Can I also take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to all the folk who restore / run / look after these and all other things of the past. Brings back a lot of memories I drove them all in the 60s especially 207 and 212 on 69/70 routes rota

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

cnosni wrote: @ salt n pepper- Are you a Taxi driver by any chance?? Only just saw this cnosni.The answer is no. Sorry for the late reply.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

salt 'n pepper wrote: cnosni wrote: @ salt n pepper- Are you a Taxi driver by any chance?? Only just saw this cnosni.The answer is no. Sorry for the late reply. Never mind. The reason why i ask is that around the time of the post was that i had been in a taxi and got talking to the driver about the air raid shelter at the Shaftsbury. He said he used to visit SL but due to the site being down for so long he had stopped visiting,but said he would come back on board so to speak.You posted around that time that you had come back to the site so i assumed you may be the taxi driver.On the subject of the LCT bus day im on holiday,im gutted.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The mention of an "air raid shelter at the Shaftsbury" in cnosni's post intrigued me. As a child living only a few minutes away from the Shaftsbury that was one of the areas that I used to play around in the late 1940s to early 1950s, but I don't recall an air raid shelter. I would be grateful if its location could be stated. I wonder if it may have been where there used to be toilets in a concrete building with some steps down that was on the playing fields side of York Road opposite the Shaftsbury?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote: The mention of an "air raid shelter at the Shaftsbury" in cnosni's post intrigued me. As a child living only a few minutes away from the Shaftsbury that was one of the areas that I used to play around in the late 1940s to early 1950s, but I don't recall an air raid shelter. I would be grateful if its location could be stated. I wonder if it may have been where there used to be toilets in a concrete building with some steps down that was on the playing fields side of York Road opposite the Shaftsbury? http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 5_97311038    
Attachments
Air Raid.jpg
Air Raid.jpg (126.68 KiB) Viewed 2418 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that reply uncle mick. The air raid shelter seems to cover a fairly large area but I have no recollection at all of it so I think it might have been covered over by the late 1940s by the football field. The toilets I recall were more to the right (as also mentioned by a person commenting to the Leodis photo). Oh, and apologies to SL readers for my initial post diverting from the Transport theme. At least I have not (yet!) totally killed off this thread, as my replies to 2 supposedly still active other threads have done!     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.