'The Lion' locomotive built in 1838 in Hunslet.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I have tried a search of SL but did not find anything directly about 'The Lion ' locomotive. On page 8 of the October 2013 issue of the North Leeds Life magazine there is a report on James Kitson (1807-1885) in a 'They lived in Leeds' section. In the report it states in 1835 James and his family moved to Hunslet "where new locomotive works were being established to feed the railway boom and acquired two partners, with expertise and money. As Todd, Kitson & Laird they set up in a cloth mill, won some orders, and began work. The great Robert Stephenson came to see what they were up to. In 1838 their first locomotive, 'The Lion, rolled out through a hole knocked in the mill wall. (The 'Lion' still survives in the Museum of Liverpool after years on display in Lime Street Station and featuring in films, memorably as 'the Titfield Thunderbolt'.)". I did not know of 'The Lion'.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Leodian wrote: I have tried a search of SL but did not find anything directly about 'The Lion ' locomotive. On page 8 of the October 2013 issue of the North Leeds Life magazine there is a report on James Kitson (1807-1885) in a 'They lived in Leeds' section. In the report it states in 1835 James and his family moved to Hunslet "where new locomotive works were being established to feed the railway boom and acquired two partners, with expertise and money. As Todd, Kitson & Laird they set up in a cloth mill, won some orders, and began work. The great Robert Stephenson came to see what they were up to. In 1838 their first locomotive, 'The Lion, rolled out through a hole knocked in the mill wall. (The 'Lion' still survives in the Museum of Liverpool after years on display in Lime Street Station and featuring in films, memorably as 'the Titfield Thunderbolt'.)". I did not know of 'The Lion'. Thanks for your post Leodian Its a first for me I would like to know more about it someone on here might tell us.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

Evening gentlemen.......try googling "lion liverpool manchester". Lots of info, pictures, videos, especially on "Liverpool Museums" and "southernsteamtrains" pages.

tilly

Post by tilly »

jim wrote: Evening gentlemen.......try googling "lion liverpool manchester". Lots of info, pictures, videos, especially on "Liverpool Museums" and "southernsteamtrains" pages. Many thanks jim I thought it would be you who would come up with the goods pardon the pun.

jim

Post by jim »

Mustn't be a passenger all my life Tilly!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Attachments
The_Lion.jpg
The_Lion.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks tilly, jim and buffaloskinner.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It took some doing but I finally found an image of the builders name plaque on the Lion. This is the image in the Old Locomotive Committee website:-It does not look old, so I suspect it is a copy unless it has been very well looked after.This a link to the Lion section in the Old Locomotive Committee website:- http://www.lionlocomotive.org.uk/photogallery.php

tilly

Post by tilly »

Many thanks for all your posts my thoughts on the name plate are it looks like the real thing.Looking at old name plates they seem to stand up to the tests of time this one has had the Brasso treatment it could have been painted when new I could be wrong. It could have looked like this.
Attachments
070ef.jpg
070ef.jpg (516.87 KiB) Viewed 3162 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote: It took some doing but I finally found an image of the builders name plaque on the Lion. This is the image in the Old Locomotive Committee website:-It does not look old, so I suspect it is a copy unless it has been very well looked after.This a link to the Lion section in the Old Locomotive Committee website:- http://www.lionlocomotive.org.uk/photogallery.php It looks old because its well worn especially across one letter. Brass doesn't deteriorate beyond physical wear and I have a similar plaque from the Parkside rugby grounds. The black infil to the cut lettering is all gone on mine as it seems to be on the engine's plaque. My dad was an engineer and he remounted my plaque on a mahogany stand, he'd have been critical of the one on the engine because it's not craftsman mounted as the screw slots don't all line up!