Mystery Bridge in Pudsey

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

While out for a wander I stumbled across this bridge:http://goo.gl/maps/uCTYGThe cutting has mostly been filled in but the top half is visible and it's quite substantial at three stone arches. What's puzzling me is what it was for. I presume it's an old right of way/field access that the railway company had to honour but on the 1906 map it doesn't appear to go anywhere.Can anybody shed any light?Thanks

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

sorry i can't enlighten you on that one Cardi but can I ask a question - can you gain access to the bridge or is it blocked off by private land at both sides now ?I have no idea how many times I have driven up and down Lowtown and never realised that was there and in fact I was only there a few days ago and explaining to my other half just where Pudsey Lowtown station used to be LOL.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

It supposed to be fenced off but is open and accessible, obviously used as a short cut but the path is bordered by high nettles.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Looking on the old maps site it looks like it was field access and at the eastern end, after the mill pond, the track opens out into a gated yard, possibly a stock holding area?

jim

Post by jim »

In general, when a new railway was to be built, the Act would specify that where an existing right of way or land in single ownership was to be cut, a bridge or crossing had to be provided. This may have been the case here.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

jim wrote: In general, when a new railway was to be built, the Act would specify that where an existing right of way or land in single ownership was to be cut, a bridge or crossing had to be provided. This may have been the case here. This also explains an underpass on the Leeds-Wetherby Line (still there) following a right of way from Stanks farm to associated fields.Any more examples in Leeds?Virtual ceegar prize for each one?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

This bridge and the filled in cutting were discussed recently, either on here or flickr.Reason I remember is 1. Henry Kranks next door 2. I dealt with some flood problems years back.The engineers who built the rail cut factored in rainwater run off.The folks who bought it, filled it and built on it did not.So lower down the hill at bad times your toilet would become a 'feature-fountain'.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

There's one here http://goo.gl/maps/Td03N and further West the bridge over the river allows access under the railway along the river banks.