Comings and goings at Leeds Bradford airport yesterday

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I've just noticed now it's got dark the planes are using the zig zag route into Leeds again. Almost as if the planes use Emily Moor transmitter lit up as a landmark?It's the right turn at Mirfield, and left turn at Rothwell flight path I'm seeing. Don't think I was too far out actually Even planes from Malaga go around the houses, they head for Manchester, then Huddersfield and do the same turn at Rothwell.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Having some civil airfield radar experience.. I found this. Runway 32.. is preferred for noise issues and going out on 14, the aircraft will climb and bank right to miss area's of MOD training..http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/a ... ckApproach is through Scottish ATC and conflicts with Manchester traffic are dealt with by them..Want the full tech spec... CAA UK AIP...Enjoy. ILS Instrument landing system, automatically gives the glide slope. DME Distance measuring equipment, gives elevation and distance to inner marker. http://va-transaero.ru/files/charts/EGNM.pdfThe search radar is a Watchman with no Secondary.. So the VOR will have that at Broad Lane.. Hopefully that will be enough.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Interesting that Loiner. Especially this part. *The standard routing is now direct to LBA which allows a descent to 4000 feet followed by a turn onto left base in the vicinity of the Emley Moor TV mast*I'm guessing this curved flight path is more noticeable at night because of the planes flashing warning lights. If it's a hot hazy day like we've been having the planes won't be too visible, although Sunday was clear and it was very noticeable. The Rothwell turn I mention is this in technical jargon.*A further complication arises from the fact the inbound track’s from the south cross the main inbound and outbound routings from the East into Manchester (or the Rosun hold) which often results in Leeds traffic been held above the conflicting traffic until around 8 miles south of the LBA*    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Its a nuisance being on the flight path as close to the airport as I live, sometimes when I'm outdoors and on the phone I have to wait until the plane has passed over because its impossible to hear anything. At night you can see the planes coming in one stacked on top of another and one plane will be taking off just as another lands. I can see the planes right at the end of the runway where they taxi to before turning 180 degrees and then they disappear down the runway, you can hear the great roar of jet engines then a few second later the plane reappears above the horizon climbing into the stratosphere. But then there will be long periods with no planes at all. Its a shame Concorde is no longer going because for a few years it made an annual flight to LBA so folks could go on a short pleasure flight. You could hear Concorde coming long before you saw it.A few years ago I picked up a cheap 'Airband' radio at the airport car boot sale. You can listen to the pilots talking to air traffic control, and there is a constantly transmitting message giving details of weather - wind, temperature, churnage (?!) etc on the runways. Its all a bit indecipherable what gets transmitted and usually you only get a snippet of conversation before the signal gets lost. I'm sure there will be planespotters who know what it all means. I tell you what I havent seen for a while that used to come over every now and then, those Chinook helicopters with the twin rotor blades. That was another aircraft with an unmistakable sound that you heard before you saw it. They seem to have disappeared along with the fighter jets although I was told by a neighbour that a Tornado flew very low over Horsforth a few weeks ago. They used to fly in on the flight path similar to the commercial jets and almost touch down at the end of the runway, but instead they would come within feet of the ground before blasting off again and banking off to the north east. Very mysterious.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

If you check the AIP military training flights are limited to one aircraft per day. Pilots and navigators need to know how to perform an approach and take off from a civilian airfield as MATZ uses different radio frequencies and electronic aids, PAR, ILS and DME etc. Chinooks are too busy in Afghanistan now. As are C-130 and C-17 aircraft. So most of this training is done on Grob or Tucano so no fast jets or multi engined types. Plus the slots are pre-booked by companies in advance. There was an IACO listing for all the worlds airports with the times and carrier, so space to practice is limited.    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Loiner1960 wrote: If you check the AIP military training flights are limited to one aircraft per day. Pilots and navigators need to know how to perform an approach and take off from a civilian airfield as MATZ uses different radio frequencies and electronic aids, PAR, ILS and DME etc. Chinooks are too busy in Afghanistan now. As are C-130 and C-17 aircraft. So most of this training is done on Grob or Tucano so no fast jets or multi engined types. Plus the slots are pre-booked by companies in advance. There was an IACO listing for all the worlds airports with the times and carrier, so space to practice is limited.     I have often wondered what aircraft with designations @@@@@@@ are when using planefinder.They are usually taxiing very slowly on the tarmac.No destination or callsign is given on the label when pointed at with the cursor. Could they be military or transport aircraft?
ex-Armley lad

45man

Post by 45man »

I live in LS9 and the aircraft on approach to LBA are nowhere near St James hospital.From memory I think they tend to follow the M1 into Leeds from the Wakefield area.Fly over Stourton and city centre.I can watch the comings and goings from my house.For example I heard and saw the delayed PIA Islamabad depart tonight about 22 45.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

45man wrote: I live in LS9 and the aircraft on approach to LBA are nowhere near St James hospital..I think they tend to follow the M1 into Leeds Sorry, once again upon trying to explain something to people they can't see, and give them a 'rough idea' of meandering flight paths into Leeds, I've been pulled up for my effort, and errors for trying.Next time I'll get the pilot to drop a static plumb bob that squirts yellow paint on the ground before I say anything.P.S this plane landing at Leeds clearly shows Neville Hill train depot at East End Park, Burmantofts, and St James hospital through the plane windowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JxKUb1s-vc    I was only trying to give a rough idea using landmarks, and local locations Leeds people can readily picture and identify. I could have been very accurate, but not everyone can picture what direction Birstall or Mirfield is, they do however know what direction Gildersome or Morley is, likewise a rough trajectory using Rothwell, Cross Green, St James hospital 'area' as a rough guide e.t.c.    Using the M1 to give you an idea of a flight path is no good at all, just look how it curves in one direction, and then an other??? The M1 actually runs in the opposite direction to the actual flightpath.     Actual flight path...Cross Green/St James hospital 'area' location.            

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

On my way home tonight, I was stopped at the traffic lights at the end of the extended slip road from Junction 4 of the clockwise M621 (which partially runs parallel to New Craven Gate) awaiting a green light to drive along to the John Smeaton flyover and an inbound Jet2 flight passed directly overhead.http://goo.gl/maps/hgwWq
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

The weekend is here and busy time at the airport again.I found those three planes landing one after another I mentioned last Sunday. I wish First bus was as frequent as this.You can use the playback feature to find a plane you may have seen earlier on the plane finderhttp://planefinder.net/