The Chapeltown Tramway Depot

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

jim wrote: Hi Phill. The plan of the depot on p659 of vol 2 of "Leeds Trams" refers to this section of the depot, and says"track removed and sub station formed late 1931". Looking at the picture you posted it appears that the original doorway has been partly filled in and a smaller doorway created, presumably of a size to allow switchgear etc to be transferred in and out. Just had a look for Jim Soper's "Leeds Transport"books Jim. I have seen the first volume from the library, very big heavy books with lots in. I looked up the prices, a little steep around the £30-£35 mark, but they are worth it.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leeds-Transpo ... 9acfdQuite tempted by volume 4, Not sure about the rest at that price
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Might be cheaper, buying 'em direct.http://lths.co.uk/publications/

ManxEd

Post by ManxEd »

I can help with the history of the Chapeletown town Tram Depot.It was originally built for HORSE TRAMS! .> My great great grandfather was head cattle man working for the Faulks family (same family as Guy came from) and left to be in charge of the horses for the Leeds Tramway based at Chapeltown, I do not know the date, but will try to find out> > I have a copy of the Tramwayman dated April 1909 (in mint condition) with lots of stories in it under Reminiscences, including on page 5 >" There was great excitement amongst us when the B.T.H. Co were to run the first electric car from Sheepscar to Roundhay.> Of course, most of us were there when it started, and I well remember Mr Nosibor (real name Mr Robinson, my great great grand father) who is now one of the oldest and most respected members of the staff, saying to me. " They'll never do, Taylor, don't thee bother, it's all fiddle/dee-dee> They'd never get up Mitchell Hill, and if they did they would kill everybody coming down, t'weight on em would do it> > This route was the first electric tramway in the country> > My Grandfather was a tram driver before the First World War > > If you are interested, let me have your address and I will send you a xerox copy of the magazine together with photos of my grandfather, who was a tram driver, on trams 45 and 57 and one of old Mr Robinson. One of my great uncles was a tram conductor, my uncle Tom, father's brother was a French polisher on the trams.> > My father worked on the Leeds buses and as an apprentice assisted in fitting the first Diesel engine on a Leeds bus, it was a marine diesel, he was a tester and finished up as garage supervisor at Seacroft, he had many memories and stories, some of which I taped just before his death in 1998.If anyone is interested I can let Secret Leeds have a copy, he would have been delighted to have past on his knowledge to you allI joined just yesterday under the name Manx Ed, ( Edward Freegard, my dad was Frank Freegard) I live in the Isle of Man which as I am sure you know still has horse trams and single deck electric trams> > > Kind regards to all> > Manx Ed

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Is it possible that you could scan the document concerned?.It could then be sent via e-mail.Or can you enter, in your profile an e-mail address, where you could be contacted.

ManxEd

Post by ManxEd »

My email address is [email protected] will ask one of my sons the best way to put all the information on line for you. I also have a Leeds City Tramways Memorandum explaining to the Chairman and Members of the Tramways Committee the proposed arrangement of Working Hours or Duties of Motormen and Conductors dated 21st November 1903, the General Manager, J B Hamilton.This committee was made up of councillors, some with little education. At one meeting when they were discussing the provision of toilets at the Crossgates terminal the proposal was that they install Urinals and one member said he thought that was a good idea but they should install arsenals as well for the comfort of passengersIf I remember my father correctly, the depot was at Chapel Allerton when it was originally built, presumably the name changed to Chapeltown at a latter dateBest wishesManx Ed

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

I have replied to Edward.If he is able to send the relevant documents direct to me, I will format them and make them available to all.And post them on here.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks ManxEd (Edward) for your interesting information on the tram depot and other things.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

ThanksGreat informative little thread on an area I know well.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

I have received the relevant document from ManxEd, and have posted it here.http://snipurl.com/27lezx7Click on the link to download or view.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Brunel wrote: I have received the relevant document from ManxEd, and have posted it here.http://snipurl.com/27lezx7Click on the link to download or view. Cheers for that link Brunel. It's a great document. The 'Reminiscences' on pages 3, 5 and 7 by 'Motorman W. Taylor' were fascinating. He "entered the service in 1874". It was all extremely interesting but I particularly liked the bit about the first double deck cars having the need at the terminus "to unhook the staircase from the canopy and carry it round to the other end of the car". The individual members sections reports are another insight to when the document was published (April 1909). The adverts are great. Suits "Sure to please" (page 2) at 30/-, 35/- and 45/- (for young ones here that's £1.50, £1.75 and £2.25 in today's money).Edit added shortly after posting. I've just used an inflation calculating website (but not that in the Bank of England website as that feature seemed not to be working in that website) and based on the UK£ in 1909 and using the Retail Price Index inflation rates, in 2012 the 30/- was equivalent to around £132, 35/- to £154 and 45/- to £199.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.