The Chapeltown Tramway Depot

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
jim

Post by jim »

jim wrote: Best source for information on the Chapeltown Tram Depot (and for that matter anything else on LCC trams and buses) is Jim Soper's monumental "Leeds Transport" (Five volumes, 2072 pages). Volumes 3, 4, and 5 of this superb work are currently on offer at £20 per volume from Book Law Publications (wwwbooklaw.co.uk). P&P £2.50 for one volume, £3.50 for two volumes, free for the three together. A big saving on the published price of £35 per volume.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Jimi can't seem to see this offer on their website

jim

Post by jim »

Hi chemimike, it looks as if the offer is not on their website. I got this info from their printed catalogue, which they send to me at intervals. The current one is 2014 issue No 2 July, and the offer is on page 33 under the heading "Leeds Transport Historic Society" (should be HistoriCAL!). You (and anybody else interested) should be able to get a copy of this catalogue posted to you by request from the website, and thus get reduced price copies as advertised there. You could also try ringing them up, saying you had seen them in a friend's catalogue and asking if you could have them at that price!    

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Thanks Jim. I'll try that

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

JimSpoke to them on the phone today. Apparently they haven't got that many of them and they've only just come in, but she was very happy to take an order over the phone.

ken H

Re: The Chapeltown Tramway Depot

Post by ken H »

I thought this thread was going to be about the tram facility in wensley avenue, off stainbeck lane. I remember the overhead wire supports used for the lights for the tennis courts when I was a kid in the 1970's.
I cant find any reference to this though.

D A Young

Post by D A Young »

This thread has been talking of Chapeltown tram depot on Harrogate Road, just north of Harehills Lane and Potternewton Lane. The building, much modified, still stands

I may be mistaken, but I cannot place the tram facility in or around Wensley Avenue that you're referring to unless you mean the small tram spur in Stainbeck Lane used for short-working cars that terminated close to Wensley Avenue. Can you clarify?

A. D. Young

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Question for anyone who has access to the Soper books (or anyone in general who's knowledgeable about this sort of thing ).

The old tram depot, in its modern day guise as Technorth, operates on two storeys: ground floor and first floor. However, it's built on sloping ground and if you walk around the side, it looks like there is a further lower ground / basement level of the building. It would be at ground level at the back, but underground at the front if you get my drift. No windows as far as I can tell, but there does appear to be an external door to this level visible in the Potternewton Lane car park.

Do any of the old plans in Soper's epic work make reference to this part of the building? Any indication of layout or use?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Sorry mark1978 that I cannot help you but I hope someone can.

Seeing this thread I looked at the post on April 26 2013 that I started it with and in my post then I stated "I notice that the map show 'gaps' in the tramtrack and I wonder why that is?". I now realise that the 'gaps' are so that 'Harrogate' and 'Road' could be put on the map, but the tram tracks would have been continuous. Oh deary me that I never realised that obvious thing when I did my original post! :oops:. Ah well, I got there eventually! ;). I tried to add this as an edit to my original post but the system would not allow me to edit it.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

I have checked the Tram Depot chapters of all five volumes of Soper for you mark1978. Unfortunately they only seem to give plans and information on ground floor level provision and use, so will not help in answering your questions.