The Chapeltown Tramway Depot

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

While looking at maps on the Old-Maps UK website I noticed there was a Chapeltown Tramway Depot on Harrogate Road in maps from 1893 to 1934, then just noted as a Tramway Depot in a 1951-19543 and a 1953-1967 map. The depot does though look to have been quite small. As a child in the early to mid 1950s I used to go to the nearby Dominion Cinema but I have no recollection of the tram depot. I have added a section of the 1953-1967 map that shows the Tramway Depot in about the centre.I wonder if anyone knows any history of this depot? I tried a Google Search of the SL website but only came across mentions of the depot in other threads. I notice that the map show 'gaps' in the tramtrack and I wonder why that is? Following the track in some other sections in maps it looks like it was a circular route from the centre of Leeds, going along Harrogate Road and including Street Lane and Roundhay Road. As the last trams ran in Leeds in 1959 the site would not have been used for trams after 1959 (unless any were stored there).    
Attachments
__TFMF_jwrdqq55dl3tw245xpczotqk_25d15ae9-f838-4ed8-9e96-b92fd9f01f9d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jwrdqq55dl3tw245xpczotqk_25d15ae9-f838-4ed8-9e96-b92fd9f01f9d_0_main.jpg (137.8 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

This is part of the old boundary wall, side of the tram shed Leo.http://goo.gl/maps/KqXRR
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

This atmospheric night shot was taken at Chapeltown depot as car 162 perpares to run the last service back to Swinegate depot.Chapeltown depot closed in 1955.The other side of that boundary brickwall is what you see on Google street view. I've marked in red where the tram is parked on the photo above.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Leodian wrote: While looking at maps on the Old-Maps UK website I noticed there was a Chapeltown Tramway Depot on Harrogate Road in maps from 1893 to 1934, then just noted as a Tramway Depot in a 1951-19543 and a 1953-1967 map. The depot does though look to have been quite small. As a child in the early to mid 1950s I used to go to the nearby Dominion Cinema but I have no recollection of the tram depot. I have added a section of the 1953-1967 map that shows the Tramway Depot in about the centre.I wonder if anyone knows any history of this depot? I tried a Google Search of the SL website but only came across mentions of the depot in other threads. I notice that the map show 'gaps' in the tramtrack and I wonder why that is? Following the track in some other sections in maps it looks like it was a circular route from the centre of Leeds, going along Harrogate Road and including Street Lane and Roundhay Road. As the last trams ran in Leeds in 1959 the site would not have been used for trams after 1959 (unless any were stored there).     The Technorth building next to Lidl is the actual tram depot with a bit of modification that was added in the 1980's if I recall correctly.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Phill and Hats Off for your quick responses, which are appreciated. That's a great photo of the tram Phill.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Hats Off wrote: The Technorth building next to Lidl is the actual tram depot with a bit of modification that was added in the 1980's if I recall correctly.     That big lintol high up and garage door certainly look like it was a tramway entrance in days gone by doesn't it? http://goo.gl/maps/ltj1p

jim

Post by jim »

Best source for information on the Chapeltown Tram Depot (and for that matter anything else on LCC trams and buses) is Jim Soper's monumental "Leeds Transport" (Five volumes, 2072 pages) This contains plans at two points in the depot's history, five or six pictures, and around thirty text references on the topic. It also confirms Phill's assertion that it survives with alterations as the Technorth building (p1785).    

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Another view, easy to work out where this is from previous plan view.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

jim wrote: It also confirms Phill's assertion that it survives with alterations as the Technorth building (p1785).     That was Hatts off who pointed that out Jim, I always assumed Tech North was a new building. It isn't till you take a good look at it that you notice the old entrance and things. Glad the building survives still, but it does look boring today though.     Bruno's photo is a little strange, the small tram shed at the side (also seen on the map) The entrance doesn't actually look high enough for a tram to go inside, yet the tracks lead into it. It doesn't even look high enough for single deck trams, or works cars with any overhead collectors. I wonder if it was built for the horse drawn trams and never altered?    

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Phill. The plan of the depot on p659 of vol 2 of "Leeds Trams" refers to this section of the depot, and says"track removed and sub station formed late 1931". Looking at the picture you posted it appears that the original doorway has been partly filled in and a smaller doorway created, presumably of a size to allow switchgear etc to be transferred in and out.