Railway Relics of Yesteryear

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

There's a good video of a Scarborough spa steamer climbing Micklefield bank herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WMvr-7u9cIt's got it's work cut out.It's coming from the York direction, so that shows it was down hill from Micklefield. Hence your train speeding up past there.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Phill_dvsn wrote: stutterdog wrote: Why did trains running out of Leeds going to Scarborough via York always go slowly? When I was a kid in the early 50's we went to the East Coast quite a lot as my Dad worked on the Railway and would get " family priveledge tkts" so we ere able to go to Scarborough quite often. As we left Leeds City the train would always go quite slowly until it passed Micklefield and I think then, it speeded up to a normal running speed.When I commented on this to him he would say it was because of all the mineworkings in the area and the danger of subsidence. Do trains still run slowly over this stretch,and was Dads explanation correct? I doubt your dads theory about mine workings been the reason for slow trains been correct. Certainly those same mines still exist today    (without any major works to stabalise them) It's quite an uphill slog leaving Leeds up Marsh lane cutting, and i do believe there is a fair bank up to Micklefield as well.     Thanks for that ,I never realised there was such a slope going out of Leeds that way.I never doubted my dads explanation but when you look at the roads going east they all have a hill to climb dont they?
ex-Armley lad

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Yes It's pretty much uphill to Garforth when you think about the lie of the land. The trains of today just glide along. But those steamers had to work hard on any grade. Even a slight uphill climb would slow them down.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Can anyone help here? Iwas asked a question today and I'm sure someone will have the answer - about a daily coal train, not strictly Leeds, or a relic ( trhough the sight of coal could be!)Apparantly it's not unusual for the train from Shipley to Leeds around 8.10 am to be held up until an EWR train hauling coal towards Leeds has cleared the route. The question is, what is its destination and from where does it originate?Most probably a power station and doubtless these days imported coal - anyone now the answers?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

chameleon wrote: Can anyone help here? Iwas asked a question today and I'm sure someone will have the answer - about a daily coal train, not strictly Leeds, or a relic ( trhough the sight of coal could be!)Apparantly it's not unusual for the train from Shipley to Leeds around 8.10 am to be held up until an EWR train hauling coal towards Leeds has cleared the route. The question is, what is its destination and from where does it originate?Most probably a power station and doubtless these days imported coal - anyone now the answers? If it's come down the Settle and Carlisle, it will almost certainly have loaded the coal at the docks near Glasgow and be on it's way to one of the lower Aire Valley power stations (Ferrybridge, Drax, etc). They used to go via the staging point at Gascoigne Wood near Garforth, but I don't know if they still do. The coal used to be shipped to one of the Humber ports and be moved on from there (much of it by river), but that stopped a good few years agoThe coal could have come from as far afield as Poland, China or Australia, rather than the Selby coals seams as was originally the idea. Apparently it's cheaper to ship coal half way round the world than it is to dig it up 5 miles away.    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

jim

Post by jim »

Point of transhipment is Hunterston coal terminal, Fairlie.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Coal - cheers guys - reliable and knowledgeable as ever

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

jim wrote: Point of transhipment is Hunterston coal terminal, Fairlie. Off the top of my head,wasn't Hunterston built to supplyRavenscraig steel plant ?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

jim

Post by jim »

It was, Dogduke. Full details on Wikipedia - Hunterston Terminal.

jim

Post by jim »

A worthwhile article on the origins, construction, opening, and takeover by the Y&NM railway of Leeds' first passenger railway, the Leeds and Selby is in the current (October) issue of "Backtrack" Magazine. Ten pages, with old photos of Crossgates and Garforth stations, but surprisingly none of Marsh Lane.